31 | Dinners & Poker faces

"If the hurt comes
so will the happiness"
— be patient

One More Mistake
Chapter thirty-one

❱ Sterling and I stood by one another but none of us dare to say anything. As our surroundings were chaotic, we were calm and thoughtful. Our eyes hardly ever met but I knew what he was thinking. My thoughts were the same and I blamed Rory for this.

Sterling was rubbing his hands together, his legs were shaking while his eyes roamed around.

I was playing with my necklace, though I was calm and I didn't give anything away.

When we heard a door close, we both looked up.

Rory was standing, his back towards us while he was signing some papers. He didn't take long before he grabbed a plastic bag filled with his stuff and walked towards us. His eyes soon take me in and his eyes flashed a surprise look.

"Are you okay?" Sterling soon stood up and walked towards him. Rory soon tore his eyes off me then he started to talk to Sterling but I couldn't hear anything that came out of him. He was whispering as if he didn't want me to hear anything.

"We should head home, you need to rest. You've been here since the morning" Rory nodded and soon we walked out of the police station.

When we walked out, the sun was just about to set and I couldn't say I wasn't tired because I was. We've been here since the morning and we haven't eaten anything. I was surprised I was still functioning.

"I was actually wondering if we can go eat somewhere?" This was the first time I've heard Rory and he sounded off and not himself but I couldn't blame him.

"Thea and I haven't had time to eat as well, we can stop by my house to eat something?" Rory nodded his head in agreement while I tensed up. I didn't want to go to Sterling's house, nor spend any more time with him or Rory. All I wanted to do is go home and crawl in my bed but once the thought of Bruce came in, I didn't want to go home.

"I actually need to go home" I say as I look away from their curious eyes.

"You're crazy if you think I'll let you leave without eating anything. You don't have to stay long, just long enough to eat." I hesitated before I nodded.

A little part of me wanted to spend time with him and see the people I once loved, love.

As we made our to Sterling's house, I wondered if Lilian was home tonight or working. I know Jeremiah was working, he loved his job.

"...I know you bailed me out but I still have to go to court" I was in my head that I missed on what they were talking about.

"Court?" My voice interrupted their conversation and soon I found two pair of eyes staring at me. Sterling was staring at me from the rear mirror and Rory turned to look at me.

"Yes, they won't just this go, they think I did something bad and they aren't going to let me get away with that." He said coldly and annoyedly.

"Do you know who accused you of this? Who would even do this?" Sterling asked, ignoring Rory's cold respond.

"That's what I want to know? Who could've possibly make this up?" His questions lingered in the car.

Little did he know I knew exactly who caused this. Who accused him of all this, though I wasn't sure if I wanted him to know.

Once we drove into the driveway, Sterling and Rory didn't waste time before they walked out the car.

"I don't think Lilian nor Jeremiah are here" sterling told us both but I think he only meant it for me.

"Do you wanna maybe order pizza?" Sterling asked once we had entered his house.

I couldn't stay here long, and if we do order pizza it would mean that I'll get to stay longer and I didn't want that.

Why couldn't he see that I'm in pain by just being in here? Couldn't he see me, see my jealousy towards him, he has everything I ever wanted, loving parents, a home filled with love.

If I stayed here long enough I would for sure hurt Sterling and I couldn't do that. I didn't want to because even though I wanted him to hurt like I do, I also cared about Sterling.

My stomach turned once I locked eyes with Sterling.

Is he finally seeing me? Could he finally see it, because whenever I'm with him I'm like an open book.

"I'm going to order the pizza, I'll be right back" Sterling didn't say anything else before walking away and leaving me with Rory.

Once there was no sight of Sterling, I've seen Rory get up and stand in front of me.

"Ever since I've got out of jail, I've been reading you and you're just too damn easy to read. I know you know something about this whole situation that I'm in and I need you to tell me who was the person was" I took a step back and put a hand on his chest to push him away.

Just as I was about to speak, Rory pulls my hand out of his chest and pulls me into him. I was inches away from his face and while I was surprised and bewildered, Rory gave me a cold look and it gave me an impression that he didn't care that we were so close to each other.

I know what he was trying to do but I couldn't hide anything with his face inches away from mine and his warm hand holding mine. There was too much contact, I couldn't put on a poker face and he knew that. That's why he was here, doing this, he wanted me crack but two can play at that game.

"You're right, I do know who it is but why would I ever tell you? You've been nothing but cruel to me" I pull my hand away from his grip and step back.

I lift an eyebrow and smirk.

"This feels like deja vu, but instead of me, it's you who's now begging for answers" he chuckles humorless.

"I'm not begging for anything, I'm demanding you..." he didn't finish because Sterling walked in the living room. He eyed us both while slowly making his way towards us.

"Is something wrong?" I looked back at Rory and noticed he had a small smile playing on his lips.

"I think Thea knows who did this to me"