43 | Nightmares & Dark Eyes

"Damaged people are
dangerous. They know how to
make hell feel like home."

One More Mistake
Chapter forty-three

❱ I tried to get away from the hard rain but there was no shelter around. Alec wasn't here yet and it's been about twenty minutes. I was already soaked and it didn't help that I was wearing a thin sweater.

I felt my phone vibrate, and I quickly checked.

Sterling: You sure you don't want a ride, just saw it was pouring outside. Rory wouldn't mind, I'm sure you're freezing. Text me back so we could know where to pick you up.

I didn't text him back.

It should be obvious to me that I didn't want to deal with Rory. What happened back there with him never happened to me before with anyone. That small spark, that mutual connection. I didn't like it, not one bit. Although my thoughts made me wonder if Rory liked it?

I wanted to know what he thought about me— no, I didn't want to know. Because I already know what he thinks of me, and it's not pleasant. He hates me and I make it so easy for him to do so.

If he hates me then I hate him too and he shouldn't be surprised when I treat him as my enemy.

I realized I've been cold towards him these past few days and I think I know where my anger is coming from. Not only does Rory make me feel like a fool by thinking about him in this rain, but by also making me feel this way. He controls me and he doesn't even know it.

He's the one to blame as to why I'm like this and desperately wanting to know if he thinks about me like I do.

That's the problem with him, he can't get out of my brain.

Just as I was about to humiliate myself even more by asking myself a question I wouldn't ever say out loud, I noticed headlights coming my way. Once I've seen the car stop next to me, I've quickly made my way towards it. I made sure to look at the person who was in it before getting in. Alec stared at me as I tried to warm my hands, they were freezing cold.

"You can borrow my hoodie, it's in the back," he said as he looked away from me and started to head towards my house. If this were a different situation I wouldn't have accepted it but since I was soaked and cold I didn't need to overthink it.

When I finally found it, I wrapped it around myself and soon I felt the warmth of it. I pulled the sleeves so it can cover my cold hands.

Once I got comfortable, I looked over at Alec. He was soaked as well but it seemed like he didn't mind it. His look was aloof and cold but this time he looked more tense. He was also quiet, he usually was, but this time it felt different.

Something was wrong.

I wanted to ask questions but I kept quiet.

As I stared at him, I couldn't help but notice the way he clenched the steering wheel. His face was hard and out of emotion. It felt like he wasn't here with me in this car, and that scared me.

I've seen most of his looks and none of them looked like this. When I think back to the first time we met, he was a totally different person. At least he fooled me enough to believe he was a nice guy.

He might've fooled me at first into thinking that he was just a normal guy but he was more than that. He's got his secrets that should probably scare me away and I'm not sure if I knew what his intentions were.

Was he actually going to go along with the engagement? Or was that just something he made up so he could get closer to Bruce?

He was like a closed book so it was hard for me to know what he was up to next.