55 | Funerals & Impulses

"I fear to show the real me
that I will be
too real for you
too hard for you
too much of everything for you
and never enough"
— Gemma Troy

One More Mistake
Chapter fifty-five

❱ It's been about a week since I found out Caine was no longer going to come back.

It was his funeral today, and I wasn't planning to go but I knew I had to, even though I hated funerals. He would want to me there.

As I applied makeup on my face, I couldn't help but to stare at the lovely envelope that was sitting on top of my nightstand table. It hasn't been touched ever since, and I wasn't on planning to open until I felt comfortable enough to read it.

"We should starting heading out, I'll meet you outside" Bruce said as he popped his head into my room.

"Okay" I said and he walked away.

Bruce was going to be there, I didn't want him to go. Though, when I told him that, it didn't exactly go well. He wasn't gentle with me either and now I had to cover the disgusting bruise on my cheek. I couldn't stand being here anymore because by every minute he was becoming more cruel.

And if I stayed here longer, who knows what he would dare to do to me.

I put on my slim black heels before grabbing my purse and making my way out. When I came down the stairs, I wasn't surprised when I've found Alec sitting on the loveseat. He was looking down at his phone but soon met my eyes when he heard my heels clicking on the marble floor.

He stood up and put his phone away, my eyes were on his phone all along until it was finally out of sight.

When I looked back at him, he seemed curious.

"Why are you here?" I asked once I finally stood in front of him.

"Your uncle invited me," he started as he slowly reached out his hand towards mine.

"Thea, I'm sorry for your friend. Caine, was it?" He asked though I cringed when Alec mentioned Caine's name, he made it name sound dirty.

"Yes, and he was actually my fiancé but not that it would matter to you." I said as I ripped my hand away from his touch. I walked away from him and made my way out.

Bruce was leaning on the car door, waiting for us. I didn't notice the person who was holding the door until I got closer.

I widen my eyes when I realized it was Kace.

"Kace.." I said as I stared at him surprisingly. Though he stood still, and tense only throwing me a short glance.

Was he angry at me?

"Thea, get in the car we're going to be late" Bruce said as he waved his hand towards the car. I felt cold hands touch my shoulders and push me in the car.

I looked at Kace one more time before getting into the car.

He was working with Bruce, again?

Alec sat closely next to me, making me look at him.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he started at me concernedly like he was actually worried about me.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked as I threw him a glare.

"You lost one of your closest friend, I don't think you'll be okay for a while" he said, like he knew me.

"And what would you know about how I'm feeling? You don't know me" I said as I turned away from him.