62 | I Love You

Warning: this chapter may contain sensitive themes such as domestic violence, self-harm, suicide and strong language. This may be triggering for some readers, so caution is advised.

"Be always gentle,
every heart hides wounds
that never bleed"
— Alexandra Vasiliu

One More Mistake
Chapter sixty-two

❱ A soft knock on my door wakes me up from my nap. I slowly get up and everything comes back to me as I see the duffel bag at the edge of my bed filled with clothing and a mess on the floor. Another knock and I'm reminded that I'm locked in here and I know there is no way it is Bruce. I notice the shadow underneath the door, then I hear a whisper.

"Thea" his voice was familiar and it didn't take long for me to know who it was.

"Kace?" I voice out.

"Yes it's me, can you open the door?" he said in a gentle voice.

I quickly got up from my bed and stupidly try to open the door.

"He locked me up here. Is there a way for you to open the door for me so I can get out of here" I ask as I knock on the door, afraid that he is going to leave. I hear shuffling on his side.

"Let me find something to open the door, I'll be back" he said, his footsteps fading away. I clutch the doorknob a bit tighter, hoping he can help.

As I waited for him to come back, I noticed that it had turned dark outside. I walked across my room and picked up my phone from my bed and checked the time.

Rory was going to get here any minute, and I still was locked in here. There was no way I was going to stay in this place, I didn't care what I needed to do to get out, I was going to let myself be treated this way.

I pocket my phone and start to zip my bag and hang it over my shoulder. That's when I hear heavy footsteps coming down the hallway which don't sound like Kace.

The door opens a second later, and standing in the doorway is Bruce with a smug grin on his face. The keys to my room in his hand, hanging and showing them off to me like it was some prize. 

"Did you really think it was going to be that easy?"  I lock eyes with Bruce but notice the figure behind him. I shift my glance and notice Kace lingering in the back with a disappointed look on his face. His eyes meet mine for a second before he looks away but I saw what he was trying to tell me. He was sorry.

When I look back at Bruce, he is smiling at me like he won and I lost in the game he had full control of.

"You can go to hell" I say, my voice low but clear. He laughs loudly, his head falling back.

"I'm not staying here" I speak again, ignoring the nasty feeling that's coming to me. Something felt off but I firmly believe that it has to be because of Bruce. It has to be.

I grip my bag and make my way towards the door but I don't make it far enough. Bruce blocks my way out with his body, also blocking out Kace's concerned eyes. He stands less than a couple feet away from me, and I hate how I look up at him. His smile doesn't leave but it does falter just a little when he looks down at me. And for a second, I wonder what he saw on my face.