Chapter 7

🎸One year later🎸
    The past year has been amazing, Elvis bought a new house a few months ago, its huge and beautiful. I have gotten really close to Gladys, she reminds me of my mama. Elvis takes me with him to all of his shows and to the movie sets. It's so fun to see Elvis act, and sing on stage, he is so talented and passionate about what he does. I have completely fallen in love with him, he makes me so happy.
    Today is the first day Elvis has had off in a while so we are sitting in his hotel room. We have separate rooms because Gladys said that If she found out we slept in the same room she would murder us. I sat in a chair in the corner of the room while Elvis sat on the bed playing the guitar and sang, I joined him everyone in a while. After a few songs I joined him on the bed, he stoped playing so he could lay his head on my lap and continued playing. I looked at his face, I ran my finger over his cheeks, nose, mouth and through his hair. He kept playing the guitar but it looked like he was thinking of something. "Honey, have ya ever thought about gettin' married?" He asked staring up at me.
"Well yeah, I used to think about gettin' married all the time when I was little." I laughed.
"No I mean have ya ever thought about marrying' me?" He laughed, I stopped running my hard through his hair. Oh my goodness, I think about marrying him all the time.
"Well um yeah, I've thought about it." I felt my face redden. He smiled up at me.
"How many kids do ya want?"
"I've always wanted two or three, at least a boy and a girl. How many do you want?"
"As many as you want." I smiled at his answer and kept playing with his hair. "Why don't we get married now?" He suggested.
"What? Elvis I'm only 19, and you are way to busy to get married."
"Well I would clear my schedule." He sat up and put the guitar on the floor.
"Sugar, I would love to marry you, but I'm still young, I want to cherish moments like this just the two of us. I know that as soon as we get married we will want to start a family, and we won't be able to just lay around singing'." He grabbed his hand rubbing my thumb on the back of his hand, he looked at me and sighed.
"Fine, but just know that we are going to get married one day, so here take this as a promise ring." He pulled the horse shoe ring off his pinky and placed it on my right ring finger. I looked down at it and smiled.
"I love ya sugar!" I leaned over and kissed him.
"I love ya too baby!"
🎸December 1957🎸
    I stared out the window of the car, we just got home from Hawaii. Elvis took me for my 20th birthday. It was nice to get away to get away and spend time with Elvis without either of us worrying about things. Now we have to be thrown back into everything, Elvis is starting a new movie after New Years, king Creole. I was daydreaming about laying on the beach when I felt a hand grab mine. I turned my head and was centimeters away from Elvis' face. "Whatcha thinkin' about honey?" He asked.
"Just about how I'm goin' miss Hawaii, and how I'm goin' to miss havin' alone time with ya." I quietly said, he put his arm around me and pulled me into him.
"Don't worry honey, you are comin' with me to set, when I'm not filmin', I'm spendin' every second with ya.we have all the time in the world, I promise." He kissed the top of my head, I smiled and sunk deeper into his shoulder. When I looked up I saw Gladys staring at us through the rear view mirror, she smiled at me and winked.
    After a while we pulled up to Graceland, Elvis grabbed our bags and brought them inside. I went to my room, showered and got dressed. I walked out of my room and was about to go downstairs when I noticed Elvis was in his room. He had his head in his hands, I walked in and sat next to him.
"What's wrong sugar?" I put my hand on his shoulder, he looked up and me, he was crying. I don't think I've ever seen him cry before.
"It's nothin' baby, why don't ya go downstairs mama made some food, I'll be down in a minute." He said wiping his tears away.
"Come on somethin' is obviously wrong, just tell me." He stood up.
"Lily I said go downstairs!" He snapped, me eyes widened, he was upset, he never snaps at me like that. He only calls me Lily when he is being serious. I froze and turned to walk out, he sighed and went to the bathroom. I walked downstairs to the kitchen, Gladys and Vernon were at the table drinking coffee, I took my seat and rested my head on the table.
"Lily what's wrong?" Gladys asked, I lifted my head up to look at her. I didn't want to tell her about what just happened because I knew she wouldn't like that Elvis snapped at me so I came up with something different.
"I'm just tired and I miss Hawaii." I smiled at her, hoping she would believe me. She just just shook her head and continued drinking her coffee. She didn't believe me. Vern passed me a mug and squeezed my hand, I smiled and took a sip from the cup. I stayed silent while they continued their conversation. After a while Elvis came downstairs wearing a blue button up shirt tucked into black pants, his hair was perfectly slicked back. Normally I would have run up and kissed him, but I stayed in my seat, Gladys took notice of this. Elvis walked over to the table and stood in front of us, I looked at my mug, trying not to look at him, but I could feel him looking at me.
"Um Satnin, daddy, Lily, I got a letter in the mail today, but y'all aren't goin' to like it." I looked up a little to see him pull a letter out of his pocket and hand it to Vernon. He started reading it to himself but stopped and slammed his hand on the table.
"No, no way! You ain't goin' Elvis! You have a career to think about!" Vernon shouted.
"Daddy I got to, its not optional." Elvis mumbled. A million thoughts ran through my head but I kept my head down.
"What's goin' on? Where do you have to go?" Gladys asked with worry in her voice.
"Nowhere, he's staton' right here, don't worry Gladys. Now son call the Colonel, we'll figure this out." Vernon demanded.
"There's nothing we can do about it, gettin' drafted isn't an option!" Elvis yelled, my head shot up and my eyes widened.
"Drafted?" Gladys asked, tears threatened to spill from my eyes, but I held them back. I got up and ran out the back door to the backyard, I fell on my knees in the grass. I stated crying, my whole world is falling apart, I don't know what I would do if I lost Elvis. It felt like I had been crying for hours when I felt a hand on my shoulder.
"Baby, please stop cryin'." Elvis softly said, I tucked my head father into my hands and kept crying.
"Elvis I can't lose ya." I mumbled into my hands.
"Baby look at me." I looked at him, he was sitting next to me.
"You aren't goin' to lose me, ill only be gone for 18 months, then we have all the time in the world like I promised." He grabbed my hands.
"18 months is a long time, what if somethin' happens to you?"
"Baby you can't think like that, I promised I'll be back."
"Ok and what about when you do come home and somthin' else comes to ale ya away from me? As much as I want to have ya all to myself, that's never goin' happen." I started crying again, he pulled me into his arms.
"Honey nothing is going' to take me away from ya. I love you so much. I have to do this, I promise that when I come back we will go away for a while, just you and me." He kissed me head, I pushed myself deeper into his arms and agreed. Why does loving Elvis have to be so hard?