Chapter 9

🎸August 1958🎸
The past couple of months have been really hard, especially the first couple of weeks, I would just lay in Elvis' bed and would only get out to shower or eat. But Mary, the cook, convinced me to help her go grocery shopping and cook. Eventually I started helping around the house and started taking piano lessons. Elvis called every chance he got, Gladys called me everyday to check up on me and tell me how Elvis was doing.
    I'm sitting at the kitchen table with Mary making cookies when the phone rang, I got up and answered it.
"Hello."
"Hi baby"Elvis said on the other line
"Hi sugar!" I squealed
"Lily honey, I have to tell ya somethin'." Elvis quietly said, he sounded worried.
"Sugar what's wrong?"
"It's satnin, she's sick we had to take her to the hospital, but they don't have the right stuff here in Germany. So daddy is bringin' her back to Graceland." That's why she hasn't called today.
"Oh sugar, I'm so sorry, when are they gettin' here?"
"They just left. Honey I'm so worried about her, I wish I could come back with her." It sounded like he was holding back tears.
"Oh sugar I know, don't worry I'll take care of her."
"Thank you darlin' ok I have to go now, will ya pleas call me when they get there?"
"Of course sugar, please be careful, I love you."
"I love you too." We both hung up, tears started falling down my face, if we lose Gladys it will kill Elvis.
🎸A few days later🎸
    Gladys keeps getting worse, Vernon called for Elvis to come home. He's spent every second at the hospital with her. He only comes home to shower, then goes back to the hospital. I try to give them space so I mostly stay at home or outside of Gladys' room.
    I just finished doing some laundry and was putting it away, someone knocked at the door, I mumbled a quick "come in" the door opened and closed, whoever it was didn't say anything so I turned around to see Elvis staring at me. "Hi sugar." I smiled at him, he returned a small smile.
"Hi baby, what are ya doin'? I'm sorry I haven't seen ya very much since I've been here."
"I don't want to be in the way, so I'm given' you guys some space." I mumbled
"Oh baby you aren't in the way, and you know mama loves ya, she would love it if you came and saw her. Baby I really need ya by my side I've missed you so much." He pulled me into a hug.
"I've missed you too, I just want you to be able to spend time with her"
"Come with me then I'll be able to be with both of my girls, and don't say no because it isn't an option." He smiled and grabbed my hand, he walked me to his car. We got in and drove to the hospital, when we got there we snuck through a side door so fans wouldn't see us. Elvis led us all the way to Gladys' room, when we got there Elvis knocked and slowly walked into the room. "Satnin, look who I brought." He softly said as he walked to Gladys' side.
"Hi Gladys" I smiled, she looked over at me and slightly smiled.
"Hi hun" she quietly said.
"There now I have both of my girls by my side." Elvis smiled, he pulled a chair over to the side of the bed and pulled me into his lap. I draped my arm around his neck and rested my head on his. We sat and talked for a while, until Gladys fell asleep. We all stayed up just watching her praying that she would make it through this.
                           🎸Next Morning🎸
"No!! Satnin please no! Please wake up!" Elvis yelled waking me up. He stood by her bedside shaking her, I jumped out of the chair and ran to his side.
"Gladys!" There was no answer, the machine connected to her kept going off. Nurses and doctors ran into the room.
"Satnin come on wake up, come on!" Elvis yelled
"Mr. Presley, I'm ver sorry but your mother has past, she's no longer with us." The doctor said after checking for a pulse.
"No she's not! You said you would take care of her! I brought her here so she would be ok!" Elvis yelled, I grabbed his arm, he was tense.
"Sugar, she's gone, please stop yellin' at him." I said quietly, he softened and turned to me, tears started to fall down his face. "Oh sugar, come here" Inpulled him into my arms, he squeezed me and cried on my shoulder. His legs were about to give out, and take us both down but Vern came up behind me and hugged the both of us. We all cried in each other's arms.
Elvis wanted Gladys buried at Graceland, so her body was brought to the house. I was asked to pick out an outfit for her to wear so I am searching through her closet. I heard noises coming from the living room, I ran out just as Elvis threw a chair across the room. "Elvis stop!" I yelled and ran over to him, he was breathing heavy and tears ran down his face.
"She can't be gone! She can't! I need her!" He yelled, he was breaking my heart. I pulled him into me, laying his head in my neck. "She can't be gone." He whispered, his legs gave out, without Vern here to catch us we both fell. I hugged him tighter, his head laid on my chest, I ran my fingers through his hair, we both silently cried. Vernon came running into the room to see what the yelling was about and saw us on the floor, he broke down and sat beside us. We all cried in each others arms once again.
There was a knock at the door, Vernon got up and answered it, I stayed with Elvis. I heard Vern talking to someone, and then my parents walked into the room. Elvis didn't notice them walk in, I knew he wouldn't like to be seen like this, but he needed someone to hold him, so I waved and motioned to be quiet. They walked towards the kitchen, Elvis laid in my arms for a while.
"Kids I made some lunch, if ya want anything." Mama offered, Elvis sat up and looked over to the kitchen.
"Is that your mom?" He asked
"Yeah it was, I called her last night before you came home, they were supposed to come pick me up today to bring me home." He shook his head and stood up, he held out his hand to help me up, we walked to the kitchen. Mama saw us walk in, she slowly walked to Elvis.
"Elvis I am so sorry, your mama was a fantastic lady." She hugged him, he smiled lightly.
"Thanks Mrs. White"
"Are you kids hungry, I made some sandwiches."
"Um not really I think I'm actually goin' to go upstairs and shower, thank ya though. Baby make sure ya eat ok." He kissed my, I watched him walk up the stairs. I took a deep breath and ran my hands through my hair.
"Oh sweetie come here." Mom pulled me into a hug.
"I don't know how I'm goin' help him through this, Gladys was his world, its just not fair!" I cried into her shoulder.
"I know baby, it's goin' be hard but for now he just needs ya by his side, listen to him and hold him just like ya were doin'. Now come on let's get ya some food." Mama walked me to the table and brought me a plate, I slowly started eating. Daddy took a seat next to me and held my hand.
"Where are the boys?" I asked
"They stayed home, one of the football boys is havin' some party." Daddy said, I nodded my head and kept eating. Time past and Elvis was still upstairs, I should probably go check on him.
"Thanks for lunch ma, I'm goin' go upstairs and check on him." I stood up and tucked in my chair.
"Wait bring his plate, that bog needs to eat." Mama handed me a plate, I took it and walked upstairs into his room. The bathroom door was closed so I sat on his bed waiting for him. The door opened revealing Elvis in just a towel, I felt myself blush. I had seen Elvis without a shirt on, but this was different, there was still water on his chest and his hair was a mess. I've never seen him like this, I turned my head
"Oh um sorry sugar" I quickly said
"Honey you're fine you can turn around, can you please help me pick something to wear." I turned and faced him
"Ok, but ya need to eat" I gave him the plate he took it and sat down on the bed, I dug through his clothes.
"Honey?"He asked
"Yeah sugar?"
"Did ya sleep in my bed while I was gone?" I felt my face go red.
"No" I mumbled, I felt his arms go around me.
"Yes you did, my pillow smells like ya." He said in my ear "why did ya lie?" He asked
"I thought ya would be mad, I mean I have a bed and you weren't here." I quietly said, he turned me around to face him.
"Why would I be mad? I tell ya all the time that I'd ya want you can sleep in my room." He said putting his hands on my waist.
"I know but I don't like using people's things when they aren't around."
"Baby, anything of mine is yours, besides it's kind of comforting knowing' my girl is at home in my bed, keep in' it warm for when I get home." He smiled and kissed me, I got lost in his lips, I missed him so much. Someone knocked on the door, we pulled away and Elvis groaned "what is it?"
"Son, people are starting to arrive you need to come down." Vern said from the other side of the door.
"I'll be down in a second!" He pulled me into a hug and whispered. "Please don't leave my side today."
"I won't sugar, I promise." He kissed me and held me for a second.

......................................................................................
Authors note:
Thank you for reading!! Sorry it was kind of long. Please let me know what you think of the story, I would really like some input!!