Chapter 8

I groaned as I opened my eyes from my slumber. I was in a star fish position. I'm so glad I'm single or I'd have to keep to one side. I laid in bed for a good 10 minutes before actually getting up. I ripped the warm blanket off of me and shivered. I stood up and stretched. I miss my bed already. I grabbed my phone and checked the time. 8:32 a.m. I looked down at my bed with a yawn.

Do it.

But I have to get up... I was going to see Steve.

You don't really have too. And if he needs you, he will stop by. Look at the bed... it looks so comfortable and warm.

You know what... I'm going to do the adult thing here.

So I did just that! I jumped back in bed and decided I will sleep a little longer.

_____________

"Hailey!? Are you home!?" Steve's voice woke me up. I stretched my arm and squinted at my phone screen.

10:23 p.m.

I groaned as I turned it off and rubbed my tired eyes. Almost another two hours of sleep. I can sleep a very long time. One time, I slept till 3 o'clock in the afternoon! I mean... did I stay up till like 4 in the morning? I don't know, it's nobody's business. I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Hailey?" Steve's voice asked softly. I groaned and sat up. He opened the door and peeked in. He snorted when he saw me. Do I really look that bad? "Good sleep?"

"You have no idea." I said in my gross morning voice as I pretended to wipe drool off of my cheek. He smiled as he walked into my room. He was dressed in a tight fitted grey shirt with black joggers. His muscles really did show. I cleared my throat. He handed me a glass of water.

"I know your always thirsty in the morning. Your throat always bothers you." I chuckled and took the cup. I took a big gulp. That's better. I moved my feet for him to sit down with me. He sat in front of me. His smile never leaving his face. I rested my chin in my palm. "Hi."

"Hi." His blue eyes stared into my brown ones. We smiled at each other. I blinked a few times and looked down.

"What do I owe the pleasure of being woken up by Captain America?" I asked playfully. Steve sighed.

"We've been tracking Ultron all night. I didn't noticed you were gone until Stark brought you up. Why did you leave?" He asked.

"I felt like I was just going to be in the way. I left you guys to do what you do. I assumed you were having a moment." I explained quickly. Not really going into it much. He nodded.

"Well, you could have told me. I would have brought you home. And you could have stayed. The others wanted to get to know 'the big secret' I hid from them for the last 2 years. They were honestly so surprised I had a friend, besides them anyway. Not to mention a girlfriend... I mean, you not my girlfriend, just that your a girl and my friend." He rambled on. I laughed.

"Hey, Steve." He stopped rambling. I chuckled. "I get it. They were shocked you had a lady friend. Why are you where?"

"We found out that Ultron is going to get vibrainium. I came by to ask if you wanted to join. The Maximoff twins will be there. We're going to the African Coast. That's where he's getting it." Steve explained. He looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Do you?"

"Maximoff Twins?" I asked curiously. He nodded in realization.

"Oh yeah... you never... Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Wanda has abilities, well they both do. Pietro can run extremely fast. He looks like a blur. His twin sister, Wanda can bring out the worst fears out of someone. When she got to me... she made my dream about being back in my day. I was with Peggy." He looked at his hands. "We finally got to dance. Then, everyone in the room had blood and wounds, but they didn't care. Then they disappeared. Like it never happened. I was left alone there. I never felt like that since I first woke up here after 70 years."

I hugged Steve. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He sighed as he wrapped his arms around my lower back.

"I'm sorry you couldn't be with her Steve..." I whispered to him softly.

"I am too..." I felt sad at his words. He truly loved Peggy, nothing will change that. He told me he finally found a woman who actually paid attention to him. Saw him for the man he was on the inside instead of the outside. He told me that he never meant a girl like her. We pulled apart.

"Okay... enough of this shit. You listen to me Rogers."

"Language." He pointed at me with a playful stern look. Pain still evident in his eyes. I pointed at him with a small glare.

"I don't like to see you sad. You are my best friend. When your sad, I'm sad. When your happy, I'm happy. You helped my through my mom and uncles death. I thanked you and will keep thanking you. Maybe you and Peggy couldn't be together, but would she really want you wishing you had stayed with her. She would want you to move on, live the life you were meant to. If you didn't go into the ice 70 years ago, would there even be an Avengers? Who would have helped save the world from Loki? Who would have been able to help Bucky from HYDRA? Who would have been there to stop HYDRA from killing billions of innocent people? You were meant to be here Steve. Peggy understands that." His eyes were glossy with tears. He glanced up at me with a look I didn't know.

Damn Hailey...

Did I make it worse?  I didn't mean too!

Steve pulled me into a tight hug. I was shocked. I slowly hugged him back. I ran my hand through his hair, in a comforting way. He relaxed. I know something else is eating him up. He always became stressed over big missions.

"Don't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. No man or woman can, no matter how strong they are. I know this has you stressed out... but don't let it. You have the team... you have me."

"I know and I'm grateful for that. Thank you so much Hailey..." he whispered in my ear. I smiled and hugged him tighter. After a few moments, we separated. I asked Steve to wait for me in the living room while I get dressed. He quickly left and I walked to my closet. I got changed and walked out of my room. Steve and I walked out of the apartment. My first mission with the Avengers... I wonder how it will go.