Chapter 14

I jumped up quickly as a loud knocked came from the bedroom door. Steve jumped up too.

"Are ya'll decent!?" Clint called from the other side of the door. Dawn reached over and opened the door. Clint peeked in. He chuckled as he saw us. I squinted towards Steve. His hair was messy and his eyes half open. I smiled as I cleaned my eyes.

"Nothing happened Barton. We fell asleep right when we touched the bed. Thank you for letting us rest in here. I love sleep!" I fell back onto the bed. Clint chuckled. Steve looked to be sleep sitting. I smiled softly. He looks adorable. Clint grabbed a crayon from the desk near the door and threw it at Steve. It hit him right on the forehead.

"Jerk!" He exclaimed suddenly as he jumped up. Clint and I raised an eyebrow at the half sleep super soldier.

"Sorry man... I'll try not to threw anything at you for now on..." Clint backed off. I chuckled.

"Sorry Clint... just... tired that's all." Steve stood up and stretched. I squinted my eyes at him suspiciously. He yawned, making me yawn... making Clint yawn.

"You two can go back to sleep. I was just coming to tell you Fury's here." Clint shrugged. Steve woke right up. Like... his hair fell back into the same position it's been all day... how in the hell did he do that? I walked into the bathroom connect to the bedroom. I looked terrible. I decided to shower right quick.

After I was done, I made my way downstairs and all the Avengers were in the kitchen. I noticed a familiar man making a sandwich.

"Hey Nick." I greeted my old friend with a smile. He nodded at me, smiled slightly. Tony started choking on his drink. I heard something fall in the kitchen. I looked up at the two. Clint dropped a butter knife and Tony was having a coughing fit. Steve was patting his back as he stared worriedly.

"You know each other?" Natasha asked pointing between Nick and me. I nodded.

"Yep. He was kinda an asshole when we first met." I glared at him. He shrugged.

"I couldn't blow my cover, and you just wouldn't stop talking." Nick shrugged. I rolled my eyes.

"I was being friendly... thought maybe you needed someone to talk to. You looked awfully lonely. And I totally helped you out." I purses my lips. He rolled his eyesss.... eye?

"Wait! What's going on here!?" Tony finally sobered up. I raised an eyebrow at him. Nick turned back to him.

"We met a few years back, she came over to me and wouldn't shut up. She helped my get what I needed. She surprisingly didn't ask questions. You do know that was pretty suspicious." Nick looked over to me. I shrugged. I was bored and I guess a little action wouldn't hurt. "We became... friends and kept in touch for a while." Nick answered, wanting to change the subject. Everyone stared at Nick in shock.

"What were you guys talking about?" I looked at the unique group of individuals. Nick handed me a drink. I smiled at him.

"Well this is good times boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you would have more then that." Natasha looked over to Nick.

"I do. I have you." Nick mentioned to all of the Avengers. "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream of. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world." Everyone seemed to think deeply about Fury's words. I pursued my lips. I honestly feel like I shouldn't be here.

Ugh! Shut up! We do belong here! God your annoying. Being here with them means we can actually do something to help. If we left, we wouldn't be able to do much. We don't have the connections and power they do.

...okay... and I'm not annoying.

Don't even start Hailey... trust me, you are annoying.

You love me.

Sadly...

I rolled my eyes. "Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard." Fury finished.

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Natasha smirked at Steve. Steve, who was leaned against the door way, crossed his arms.

"You know what Romanoff?" He began with a fake threatening face

"You know what Romanoff?" He began with a fake threatening face. Natasha's smirk widened.

"So what does he want?" Fury looked at all of us.

"To become better. Better then us. He keeps building bodies." Steve spoke up.

"Person bodies." Tony corrected. "The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Natasha remarked.

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultimate going to evolve." Banner spoke up. We all looked over to the doctor.

"How?" Nick day back and watched Banner.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Banner looked around at us. My eyes widened at the name. Mason. I panicked slightly, not wanting to bring attention to myself. Mason was supposed to go visit Dr.Cho.

~
Steve and ran into the lab. The room was destroyed and there were people laying on the ground. I notice Helen Cho on the ground with a large cut in her chest.

"Doctor Cho!" Steve exclaimed as we kneeled next to her. I looked at her pained expression. I grabbed some tissues from the stand next to us and placed it on the wound. She winced.

"He's uploading himself into the body." She spoke breathlessly.

"Where?" Steve asked, but she took a deep breath. Steve was about to get up, but she stopped him.

"The real power is inside the Cradle. The gem, it's power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the Cradle to Stark." Dr. Cho told him. I grabbed her hand and put it over the tissue.

"I have to find it first." Steve told her, taking in the information just given to us. She looked around the room. She looked at me and pointed to her right. I looked over and gasped. I ran to Mason. I kneeled beside her, checking her pulse. I sighed in relief.

"Mason... Mason!" I shook her gently. She groaned in pain. I smiled down at her. No wounds, but a bruise on her forehead. "Thank god!"

"Hailey...?" She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She winced. I helped her sit up. I looked over to Steve, who was waiting for me.

"I have to go. I'll see you later, okay?" She nodded and I ran out the lab with Steve.