Episode 23 - At Ease

Ugh...

I slowly open my eyes and the first thing I see is pure darkness.

Shit.

Am I dead?

What happened?

I squint my eyes to adjust to the darkness of the room.

Oh. I'm in a room.

Nakahiga ako sa isang kama and the only light I could faintly see is that of the moon coming from the window on my left.

The smell of medicine wafts through my nose and I immediately know where I am.

The hospital.

I scan the room from left to right, my eyes starting to feel heavy.

Hindi ko alam kung bakit pero habang tumatagal, nawawalan ulit ako ng lakas at unti-unting nanlabo ang mga mata ko.

Make up your mind already, Brain. You wanna wake up or nah?

Then, I realize na may figure na nakaupo sa gilid ko.

It was too dark to see his entire face but I could see his mouth.

I didn't even notice that he was holding my hand when he suddenly gave it a gentle squeeze as if he knew I was awake.

V?

I squint my heavy eyes even harder to make out a face but the longer I stared, the more I felt myself slipping back into sleep.

He didn't say a single word.

Huy magsalita ka naman oh. Who you ba?

Dammit, eyes, cooperate.

Then as if reading my mind, he covered my eyes with his hand.

His cool and oddly comforting hand relaxed the muscles in my eyes and I begin to fall back asleep.

His scent... I know this scent.

"Sleep. I'm here. I won't leave."

Then, darkness.

_ _ _ _ _

The next morning, I find myself in the same bed.

The room was now well-lit and the sun was up.

Was that a dream?

I blink hard and try to recall what I had seen that night.

Someone was by my side.

V!

Instinctively, I look to my right and sure enough V was there, leaning on my bed, sound asleep.

Seeing him, I try to sit up but I suddenly felt a pang of pain in my forehead and I winced.

"Ah!" I reached to touch my forehead and felt a large bandage stuck to it.

What the-!

I must've jolted up from the shock and woke up V because as soon as I let out a sound, his head propped up.