Chapter 6 ~ Sky

Rosa and I arrived at Gull's early, to help Fifth Star set up. Joe looked gorgeous, simple dark clothing that made his slightly wavy dark brown hair and his wicked blue eyes stand out. Jesus, I was one very lucky girl. When Rosa and I came in, he lifted his gaze from the amp he was sorting, to me. He shot me his infamous smile, and that gave me the need to steady myself and stiffen my knees.

"You look... dressy" he said.

"Oh, I just thought I'd make an effort. It's a big night for you so I wanted to look nice." Not quite the reaction I was hoping for. I spent an hour picking out this navy strappy swing dress and gold strappy heels. I got Rosa to do my makeup for me, and honestly, I thought I looked quite cute.

"Yeah, babe. But this is a gig. Not prom. Are you sure you can't go home and change?" I was too taken aback to argue. And since when had Joe called me "babe". That was just plain cringey.

"Joe... I can't just turn around!" I said, trying to sound stern but my voice just shaking.

"Come on, Sky. Don't get upset about it! I'm only messing. Why don't you and your friend go get a drink or something? Look here's some money." He handed me a fiver. If it was a joke, why was nobody laughing? I felt so embarrassed. And confused. This Joe was a whole new person. He was acting like I was some sort of accessory rather than his girlfriend. And really, I was hoping that night he would tell me he loved me. I guess I would just have to see how the night played out. Maybe he was just nervous about performing for such a big audience. I could only hope.