chapter one

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                 One month. It had been one full month since Jane had been locked back up in Arkham - this time with her brother. Luckily for Jane, Jerome was still healing from the doctor's reattaching his face, so she hadn't faced him since that night in the Hall of Mirrors. Jane shuddered at the thought of seeing him after that. She actually stood up to him, kicking him mercilessly. He was going to retaliate in some way. 

Jane stood at the door of her cell, waiting to be let out. They were supposed to come any second to let her out to the community area for the day. After a few more minutes of waiting, they finally opened the door. The guards grabbed her roughly, guiding her down the hall. Jane was already tired of fighting, so she let them treat her as roughly as they wanted. She glanced back at her retreating cell to stare at the spot. The spot were her true love died trying to save her from her brother. They had done a good job at cleaning it, but there was still a stain on the hard grey flooring. 

Jane finally looked away. It was too hard on her to think about Laney. She had been so lonely since she died. Laney was the person that kept her sane, kept her happy. Now without her, she felt so empty, so depressed. 

She couldn't stop thinking about her as she was thrown into the community area and she slowly made her way to her usual table - the table that she used to share with Laney.

As she took her seat, she stared at the seat next to her. If Laney were here, she would've grabbed Jane's hand by now, intertwining their fingers before kissing her softly on the lips. She was always so gentle with Jane because she knew her history with abuse. Sometimes, if Jane's depression was weighing on her extra hard that day, Jane would lower her head into Laney's shoulder and Laney would rub her fingers through her hair, calming her. Laney was her rock. But now she was gone, and it was all Jane's fault. 

Jane wanted to cry. She felt tears starting to collect in her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Laney would want her to be strong.

"Whatcha crying about?"

Jane froze. She felt her heartbeat skip a beat, as she continued to stare at the metal table in front of her. She would not make eye contact with him

It skipped Jane's mind that Jerome was coming back today. For the past week, that was all inmates in here were going on about. He was a legend to them. He represented everything they were and what they wanted to be. Jane didn't feel the same. 

Jerome stared down at the hallow version of the sister he saw a month ago. His face was healing rather nicely, besides the scars that surrounded his face and the bruises his sister left him. When she kicked him, she was powerful, full of anger. In front of him now was the scared little sad girl he knew her as - the version he trained her to be. He had a playful grin on his face as he continued. "You did some damage on me in the Hall of Mirrors that night." He pulled up the side of  his striped jumpsuit to reveal a dark bruise the size of Jane's palm. Jane's eyes moved to look at the bruise, feeling some pride. Finally, he hurt as much as he hurt her. Jerome lowered it. "I was surprised you had the guts."

"I wanted to make you hurt." Jane felt herself getting increasingly more angry. She finally met his eyes. Jerome saw the anger in them. He thought it was cute, like an angry kitten. "You abused me my whole life. And you killed the love of my life." 

He fake pouted. "Aw the love of your life? That's cute." Jerome leaned further, wearing a vindictive smirk. "Probably did you a favor. She would've gotten bored of you. Sorry to break it sis, but you're not the most interesting person."

Jane glared harder at him. "What do you want?" She spoke very firmly. She was not playing along with this psycho. 

Jerome smiled at her glare. "Well, we are family. I want to spend some quality time with my lil sis. Maybe truly see what's underneath there." Jane frowned. What was underneath there? What did that even mean? "Maybe that girl who killed fourteen people can come out and play. She sounds fun."

"I've done a lot better without you in my life," Jane spat harshly. "And I don't know if you've noticed, but I've stopped killing. That person doesn't exist so she won't be making any appearances."

"Well that's a shame." Jane narrowed her eyes. "That's a girl I wouldn't mind leaving alone. This Jane-" He motioned to her. "- is one I can have some fun with breaking. I get bored in here. I need someone to entertain me."

Jane felt her face paled, thinking about all the times she was his form of entertainment. She didn't want that to happen again. No one in Arkham would help her, no inmate, no guard. She would be left to be endure the abuse she experienced her whole life. She gulped. "Can't you just leave me alone? I won't get in your way. You can cause as much trouble as you want throughout Arkham. Just leave me out of it."

Jerome laughed, loudly and obnoxiously, just like he always did. "That's cute you would think I would. Why would I find a new victim if I have a perfectly good one sitting right in front of me?" He winked at her. "It'll be like old times, except no mother to get in the way." Jane's face paled even more, if that was even possible. Jerome laughed again before standing. "I'll see you around, sis. I can't wait to have some fun together."

When Jerome finally left her, Jane felt her breathing getting heavy. She closed her eyes and started thinking about Laney. Laney would tell her to take deep breaths and to focus on her heartbeat - so she tried it. She focused on her steady heartbeat. She was fine. Jerome wouldn't hurt her. He was bluffing. He couldn't get away with it. Besides, she could find protection, maybe make the right friends to back her up. She had options. 

You don't have options.

Who would want to be your friend? A weak crybaby who can't do anything herself.

Let's hope the actual Jerome can have more of an impact bringing that killer in you out. 

Jane shook her head, trying to get those voices out of her mind. They were wrong. 

We're not wrong.

Remember that feeling you got before you suffocated Big T to death? You loved draining the life from her. 

"No I didn't," Jane responded softly. 

You can keep lying to yourself, but we are you.

We know the truth. We know how crazy you really are.

The voices stopped, leaving Jane feeling on edge. She would be fine, right? She could withstand Jerome and his taunting and bullying. She had done it before.

Right?

hey everyone!

im sorry this is a week later than i originally told you all. i wanted to give myself a break from all the updates i gave you with the first book. 

but yay! welcome to the second book! its gonna get crazy :) it's also gonna follow the actual show for the most parts, so unfortunately less original chapters. i will of course be writing original scenes within chapters because i love doing that and its my style.

also! the previous book is all edited. i added some stuff to some chapters to clarify some of the stuff so if you are curious about that, go check it out! 

i hope you continue to join me on this crazy ride that this book will be! (which will also finish the show out.)

see you all on thursday!