chapter eighteen

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                          Jane swung through the abandoned Gotham City. It was dark but she was able to see with all the practice she had. It had been three months since her brother blew up the bridges and the gangs had completely taken over. There was Siren territory, directed by Barbara Keane, Oswald took City Hall, Scarecrow and others from Jerome's old Legion of Horribles took corners for themselves and the G.C.P.C controlled a chunk. Jeremiah was still undetected. No one knew where he was and Jane wasn't going to start looking. She said she would help take him down but she didn't want to participate in the actual searching. She hoped Jeremiah would just stay down.

Jane was currently staying with the G.C.P.D area with Bruce. It was a safe place with people who didn't try to kill her every waking second, a nice change. Bruce was determined to find Jeremiah after what he did to Selina, who couldn't walk. Jane was avoiding the hospital, only going to check on Bruce and Selina was resting. According to Bruce, Selina was getting increasingly worse and they planned on surgery soon. He was under immense stress. Jane didn't do anything to the young girl, but she was related to the person that did. Jane's anxiety and guilt went crazy thinking about it. 

She jumped between another two buildings. The breeze ran through her red flaming hair like fire following a rocket. It was getting easier and easier everyday to maneuver the city. She was getting a lot of practice of watching and learning from the different gangs. No one ever noticed her. She was like a little fly on the wall. Nothing too concerning for them to focus their energy on. Jane just wanted information and that's what she was getting.

One more building.. Jane thought as she prepared herself to make the leap.

She landed successfully on top of the hospital. She had a smile on her face. Jane always felt powerful when she did that. She loved it.

The smile quickly vanished from her face as she moved towards the roof doors. She grabbed the handle and whipped it open, being immediately greeted by light. Jane winced slightly, not used to the brightness just yet. She started her descent down the stairs until she hit the level she was sure they were doing surgery on. 

Selina's surgery had already started but Jane anticipated that, not wanting to face her. Besides, she mostly here to check on Bruce and make sure he was okay.

She found him glued to the glass with Alfred, watching as the doctors, behind a curtain, cut into his friend. Jane walked up to them and placed a hand on Bruce's shoulder. "Hey."

Bruce jumped, not expecting her to be there. "Oh, my, Jane. You scared me." Alfred, who also looked taken a back looked over and gave the young girl a nod. 

Jane gave them a sheepish smile. "Surgery going okay?"

Bruce's face was stone cold, not letting even the tiniest of emotions peak through. But they had spent a lot of time together, so Jane was able to see that really, Bruce was a nervous reck. He shrugged. "So far everything is good. I just hope it works."

Jane nodded understandingly. "It will, don't worry." 

Bruce returned the sheepish smile. "What about you? Any news on Jeremiah or the gangs?"

At the mention of her brother, Jane's heart pumped faster. She quickly shook her head. "No on Jeremiah. He must be really down in the underworld, trying to build an army. Last time, they all betrayed him. I couldn't imagine how he plans on testing their loyalty now." Jane thought back to the other things she saw today. "Nothing really interesting to report overall though. Jonathan Crane and his followers hung a man on a cross today and then proceeded to kill him on it, but that's it."

The attention went back to the surgery. Jane's anxiety was going crazy. She knew everything would be okay, but she wanted Selina to be able to walk again. Jane couldn't face her if she couldn't. 

A moment later, the lights were shut off and Jane's anxiety was replaced with curiosity. All three of them looked around. Jane went towards the window closest to her and peered out. "Lights are out everywhere."

"Clinic's got its own backup generator," Alfred tried to comfort a distressed Bruce. As if on cue, the generator kicked in, the lights returning. "You see? Everything's shipshape and Bristol fashion." Jane still had a bad feeling. There wasn't enough British sayings from Alfred that could take it away.

Jane turned towards Bruce to see him shaking his head. "No. Something's wrong."

On the other side of Alfred, a door was pushed open and a nun popped her head in. She looked nervous and slightly scared. "Men in the basement. They're stealing all the medicine."

Bruce immediately took charge. "Alfred, stay with Selina. Jane, come with me."

Jane was ready, quickening her pace to keep up with the young billionaire. 

"Of course, but you can't go down there," Alfred called out. Bruce stopped and turned to face him. "It's gonna be pitch black. You're gonna need a torch or something." 

Bruce picked up his bag from the ground. "Lucius gave me something better."

--------------------------

Jane stood quietly, watching as the intruders sloppily grabbed as much medicine as they could. She was wearing one of Lucius' night vision goggles, so she could see every single thing they did perfectly. Bruce had a plan to defeat them. She had to wait until they got close, then take them and knock them out - not kill. New type of orders for Jane. 

"Did....did you hear that?" One of the intruders spoke out loud to his friends, clearly scared. 

One was about to respond when Jane quickly grabbed and gagged them. The person couldn't see her but Jane watched as their face was twisted into a terrified mess. Quickly and without feeling, she knocked them out, making sure their body made it softly to the ground.

Jane looked up and noticed Bruce on the other side of the room. He gave her a quick nod and each took a person, knocking them to the ground.

Jane didn't want to admit it, but she got an insane amount of thrill every time. She liked playing predator and taking out the prey. Jane was the bear, and these poor intruders stumbled into the wrong cave. She felt her mouth twist upward. The rational side in Jane saw it coming and shut it down. Guilt started to rise. She hated that side of her. It was the side she was trying to get rid of. 

Only one was left and she wanted to Bruce to handle it. This one held a gun and looked nervously around the room, calling for his friends. He wore a mask so Jane couldn't read his face but she knew it matched his movement.

Jane watched as Bruce jumped from the ceiling, punching and kicking the man to the ground. That was until the lights were turned back on and pain started shooting up Jane's eyes from the googles. Quickly, Jane ripped the goggles from her face and looked up to see Bruce but no man. In fact, none of the people they took down were there anymore. They all escaped. 

Bruce steadied himself and made eye contact with Jane. They both knew what happened but neither wanted to say. They took the medicine. They failed.

hey all!! 

ahh! welcome to part 2! 

im sorry for such the long wait but i wanted to see if they would put the season on netflix (still haven't yet but bought the season anyway smh). also my life has been kinda crazy bc my sophomore year of college just started so i have been trying to get used to that as well.

updates will be on wednesdays now so get used to this day :)

also! this part is going to be relatively short. there's only going to be around ten chapters plus an epilogue, which i'm soooo excited about.

i hope u guys enjoy this part and enjoy the end of jane's story! 

see u next wednesday!