epilouge

warning: this is long

          Jane couldn't believe she was back. As she looked over the new Gotham City from her new apartment, she was reminded of the girl who left this city nearly ten years ago. She was a young warrior in her early 20's - completely ruined by the trauma she endured during the years behind her. She had gotten out when she could, and boy was she proud of what she accomplished.

Now standing tall in her early 30's, Jane felt like she was truly happy in life, maybe truly for the first time in her life. When she left, she headed to the other end of the country. She bathed in the sun, not looking over her shoulder every ten seconds. She went to school, got a job, founded her own Non-Profit. It was one she was very proud of. It focused on any advocacy or help a child in an abusive household would need. They offer endless resources and try to help those kids lost from society. It was an organization Jane wished was around when she was a child - a small, broken and constantly beat up suicidal child...

Arms wrapped around her waist. Her wife's auburn hair fell over her shoulder as she rested her head on Jane's shoulder. Jane rested hers on top. "The city is beautiful. I can't wait to explore it with you later." Renee's voice was so calming. 

"It wasn't always this beautiful.." Jane murmured under her breath. She knew Renee heard; Renee understood though.

Renee was the most understanding and compassionate person Jane had ever known. She was a true angel from above. She knew everything about Jane, saw every scar on Jane's body and yet she accepted every perfect flaw, in fact she loved her more. 

Renee rubbed Jane's arm up and down in a calming fashion. "I'm here for you, Jane. You are the strongest person I know. I'm so proud that you were able to come back."

They had met in college. Jane was finishing up her Business Management degree. Renee was finishing her Psychology degree. She was a therapist, and a damn good one. She cared about each one of her patients. She was highly recommended. Jane was so proud of her.

Jane let go of their embrace and stood in front of Renee. The way the light hit Renee's beautiful auburn hair and her hazel eyes was truly breathtaking. Renee's face then lit up. She grabbed Jane's hand eagerly and placed it on the bottom of her 8-month pregnant belly. "I just felt her kick." After a moment, Jane felt it and her face lit up.

Growing inside Renee's stomach was their beautiful 8-month old daughter. They went to a sperm bank and chose the person they thought would be perfect. It was so important to Jane that she would be an amazing mother. She wasn't going to repeat her drunk and abusive mother's behavior. She would be kind, and understanding, and love this child with all of her being. 

Renee smiled, showing her perfectly white teeth. "Our little Lane."

They decided to name their child after Jane's first love Laney. Renee knew about Laney, and what happened to her. She understood what she meant to Jane. Because if it wasn't for her, Renee's love of her life wouldn't be here anymore. She would've been long gone after a, this time, successful suicide attempt in Arkham almost 11 years ago. 

Jane looked back up at Renee and gave her a look. "You should be resting, dear. The doctor said you should be in bed and off your feet."

Renee rolled her eyes softly. "Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm just disappointed I won't be able to go to the Wayne Gala with you." She pouted.

Jane nearly forgot that was tonight. Bruce Wayne was supposedly making his first appearance in ten years. He had apparently left very soon after Jane had, leaving Selina by herself here. She missed her good friend. She wanted to see how he was doing. However, being around all those familiar faces made Jane's anxiety rise. She was worried all those feelings and memories she tried to forget would come back up... after all of this progress she had made.