chapter eight

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                  The sounds of glass scrapping each other were the only sounds to be heard in the room. Jerome had invited a bunch of his "horribles" for a mandatory brunch meeting to discuss plans moving forward. Jane was not very interested in the meeting. She found it excessive, especially since some of the criminals who sat in front of them weren't all too important to Jerome's plan, which Jane knew basics of. He didn't go into specifics with his sister, but she had more of an idea of what he wanted to do. With the help of Crane, he would be able to make a gas to turn a person truly mad, an idea that deep down scared Jane but she didn't let that show.

Jane sat boredly next to her brother thinking about the plan as Jerome rose his glass with a knife and gently dinged them together. "Hear ye, hear ye! I'd like to officially welcome you all to our first ever Mandatory Brunch Meeting." Jane rolled her eyes. "First ever" implied there would be more of these, and that was something she dreaded. 

"Now, I know what you're all thinking," Her brother continued his speech. "Why have I gathered this legion of horribles? That has a nice ring to it." He turned to a servant. "Write that down, will ya?" The man reached for his chest pocket where a small notepad was held. "Well, back when I was in Arkham, I came up with a plan to turn this city into a madhouse. Now I am on the cusp of making that happen, but I need help from all of-" A member from the group rose his hand. "-Put all questions on ice until the end." Jerome looked at Oswald. "Mr. Oswald, thank you for doing your part in hosting us today."

Oswald smiled slightly, one that the average person would think was genuine but Jane saw how strained it was. "Anything for an old friend."

Jane snorted. "Hmm, yes Oswald. Because that's exactly what we are. Old friends."

Jerome rolled his eyes and spoke to the group. "Ignore her. She didn't get enough attention growing up." Jane rolled her eyes in response while Jerome directed his attention to Crane. "Crane. Where are we at with the... you know what." The gas. Jane perked up in anticipation. 

"It's coming along dreadfully."

Well that was corny, Jane thought to herself. She didn't speak it allowed to not make any enemies at the table. She could poke fun at Oswald all she wanted but she barely knew any of the other people at the table. She didn't want to make anyone too annoyed.

"Ooh, pun-worthy! Excellent! Freeze, Ice Man, you're our science guy. We're gonna need a lab. A big one."

The giant Ice Man didn't show much emotion in his speech. He seemed like a pretty depressed dude from what Jane could see. "Easy enough."

Jerome took a deep breath, his smile getting slightly wider. "Now, all we need is Mr. Tetch to return with some very important information, and-" His hand slammed on the table as he turned his attention to a servant. "Use the tongs, Carl!" 

Poor Carl was very taken aback and scared. Poor guy, Jane thought. No one should face the wrath of her brother. Her mind went back to Jervis Tetch, however. Earlier this morning, Jerome sent him to St. Ignatius to find out information on where their brother Jeremiah could be. It made Jane's heart beat faster and faster thinking about how much closer they had gotten to finding him. But she never spoke up. She didn't need Jerome to think she had gone weak again.

"You still haven't told us how you're going to take over the underworld," the only other woman at the table spoke. She was going by the name Firefly but Jane wasn't really paying attention to names.