chapter three

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

            Jane knew something was wrong with her when she didn't even put up a fight to go into her electroshock therapy. The last couple of times she went through it, she always put up a fight, thrashing as hard as she could against the guard's strong arms. But this time, she didn't care. She laid limp in their arms as they dragged her across the room, plopping her in the chair. 

The guards had laughed at this. "Not putting up a fight this time, psycho?"

She didn't even flinch at the nickname. She was so used to everything, the whole routine of it all. She just wanted to get this over with. 

Dr. Johnson was no longer in charge of her therapy or her sessions. After Jerome's night of horror, all his followers who had jobs in Arkham were fired and replaced with officials who apparently didn't follow his beliefs. In front of her now was Dr. Fitz. She was a skinny blonde woman who always wore sleek clothing under her white coat and her hair tightly in a mid-bun. She always wore small red glasses that balanced at the end of her nose and always looked serious. This was only the third time seeing Dr. Fitz. She didn't take much interest in one-to-one therapy and preferred observation and experiments, like electroshock. 

Dr. Fitz held a clipboard in her arms as she watched the guards stick the wires on Jane's head. She began speaking. "Jane, right?" Jane nodded. "I'm aware this is not your first time in electroshock so I will spare the details of what happens during it. However, because of how unprofessional your last therapist was, I have decided to start over and ignore most of the notes he had written down. So this will start my new observations." Jane didn't respond in any way, just stared at the woman.

Where she would end up this session, Jane had no clue.

Where she ended up was when she was eight. It was the end of the summer, maybe early September. Jane wasn't sure. She had just woken up on her spot in the middle of her brothers' room, where she always slept. Because of how much her family lacked empathy for the youngest, Jane was never really given a bed until she was around eleven. For most of her life, she slept on the floor in the middle of her two brothers' beds with a light blanket. She was woken up like most times, Jerome "accidentally" stepping on her ribs, always leaving a bruise. 

Jane whimpered as she opened her eyes and saw her brother's eyes looking down at her. They were perplexed, not the usual snarkiness. "Where's Jeremiah?"

Jane's small body sat up, frowning. "What are you talking about, Jerome?" She looked over to see Jeremiah's bed emptied. The last couple of weeks, Jeremiah had been acting weirdly. He would do dangerous things to himself and then told their mother Jerome did it. According to him, Jerome was trying to kill him. It always confused Jane, and now with his sudden disappearance in the morning, it just made her more. 

At that moment, the door to the small bedroom was swung open. Jane stood up quickly as she noticed her mother waltzing in slowly, swaying ever so slightly. It seemed she got a head start on the drinking today. "He's gone." Was she listening in on their conversation this whole time? "The only child that didn't disappoint and embarrass me is gone." Lila moved slowly towards her children, giving them the nastiest glare. "And it's all your fault." She pointed at the child, shocking Jane as her finger was pointing at Jerome and not her. Lila glanced at Jane. "For once, Jane, you're not the one to blame. Although, I'm sure you helped drive him away, just like you do to all the good men that come into my life."