chapter fourteen

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                 A clown mask was placed perfectly on Jane's face as she watched from the trees all of Jerome's old followers raise a glass to him. They were gathered next to her brother's grave and didn't notice the small girl watching them, as it was in the middle of the night. Her hair was up and hidden away to help hide her identity. Jane had very strict instructions, and she feared what would happen to her if she didn't follow through perfectly. 

Earlier that evening, Jeremiah had come to Jane, who was a bloody, sobbing mess on the floor. She was tired, hungry and in an insane amount of pain. Her stomach was still a mess; the giant "J" branded on her skin was healing at an extremely slow rate and ached anytime Jane moved. That whole moment of Jeremiah coming to her and doing that was the most humiliating thing to ever happen to her. She couldn't run now. 

Anyhow, when he saw his younger sister on the floor, he was extremely satisfied and smug. To Jeremiah, Jane was finally perfect. She was fully broken down and was willing to do anything now - just so he wouldn't hurt her again. After two and half days of torture, Jane was ready. 

When Jane noticed him standing in her cell, she started shaking and attempted to get as far from her brother as possible. But as soon as she moved her body, her face twisted in pain. 

That had made Jeremiah's mouth slightly turn upward before rose his hands up. "Woah there tiger. I'm not here to hurt you." He kneeled down to her level. They were close, only about a foot between them. "You're right where I want you now." Jane was confused. What did they even mean? Why was she here? 

He stood abruptly and dropped a notebook to the floor. It had belonged to Jerome before he died. Jane often watched him laugh and draw and write in it while they were in Arkham together but Jane knew better than to ask him what it was. Jane's good hand hesitantly went to the book, but she stopped before she could actually touch it. She looked back up to Jeremiah for permission to touch it, scared to do anything that would upset him. 

Jeremiah nodded. He loved how controlled his sister was now. "Go on. Read it."

Jane picked up the book, flipping it opened to a page of a drawing of what was supposed to be Jane drowning in a pool of acid. According to this drawing, she was supposed to be dipped in over and over again. Jane stared in a disgusted fascination. She turned the page to see another drawing of Jane being pulled by her hair by elephants.

Jeremiah finally spoke, "These are some of the ways our brother wanted to kill you, Janey." He kneeled down to her again, and she looked up to him. Fear glossed her eyes. It wasn't news that Jerome had wanted to kill Jane, she knew that. Jane was more concerned on why Jeremiah would show this book to her. She was already petrified of him, wasn't that enough to keep her on his side? 

Jeremiah, who prided himself on being an intellectual, could see the question floating through her mind. "I'm showing you these so you know I'm not like our brother. If I wanted to kill you, I would kill you. I see the potential in you. That's why I took you back." 

Took her back. He was acting like she was some kind of object that could be stolen. Despite that thought coming up, it was shot down just as fast. 

Jeremiah stood one final time. He stood tall and proud and looked down at his feet at her. "You're going to have to prove to me your worth. Just because I can see something deep down, doesn't mean you can rise to the challenge. Do as I say, and I won't kill you."