chapter twenty-four

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

--------

             The sound of a whip cracking bounced off the walls of the small tunnel. Jane's body collapsed to the ground she was hovered over. She felt a drop of blood trickle down off her back as she laid face down on the ground, trying to catch her breath. Ecco's giggle bounced off the walls; She was getting too much enjoyment from this. Jane stayed for a moment on the ground, just breathing heavily. Ecco didn't like this as she kicked Jane's side.

"Get up! You still have some work to do!"

Jane was currently being held against her will, forced to dig the rest of the tunnel alone after all his other followers disappeared. It had been exhausting work. She would have no break. If Ecco thought she was slacking in the slightest, she would be hit or whipped, or both. 

Jane gritted her teeth and stood once more. She grabbed the pickaxe and prepped herself to throw it against the wall. She did again and again, grunting every once in a while. 

She didn't understand why they were still doing this. She didn't understand why Ecco had Jeremiah's dead corpse laying lifelessly on a cot next to them. Jane saw him get stabbed several times. He was dead. So why were they continuing this? Why did Ecco, her brother's most devoted servant, appear fine and unharmed about it? Something didn't sit right with her.

Jane didn't dare ask, though. She gave up on asking questions two days ago when Selina stabbed Jeremiah. After having the gag removed from her mouth, Jane had been freaking out. She tried begging to be let go and when Ecco refused, Jane pleaded to tell her why. Why couldn't she leave? Wasn't this all over? Ecco wouldn't give her any answers. She just went crazy, hitting and kicking Jane. She even stabbed her in the abdomen. Then, like nothing happened, forced her to get to work right away. 

Jane kept her pace up. Her muscles ached. The pickaxe was heavy, and Jane wasn't used to being worked this hard. 

"Work faster! You don't want Jeremiah to wake and see you disappointing him, now would you?" Ecco mocked behind her. 

Jane's heart stopped. The pickaxe dropped from her hands. She slowly turned, her first defiance. "Wake? He's dead, isn't he?" Ecco had an amused smile plastered on her face as she watched Jane's freak out. "He's dead! I saw him get stabbed with my own eyes!" No, no. Jeremiah was dead. She saw it herself. 

Ecco's crazed laugh bounced off the walls. "Oh silly, Janey." Jane gritted her teeth at the nickname. She still despised it with her whole being. Ecco walked closer to Jane, turning her head condescendingly. "You think your big brother would just leave you all high and dry by yourself like that?" She closed the gap between them and cupped Jane's jaw with her hand. "He has more plans for you, for Bruce, for Gotham. Selina Kyle's little revenge plan just had to get over and done with."

Jane's head was spinning. So much was going on in her head. Jeremiah alive? His plans for Gotham? Where was this tunnel really heading, and what was at the end of it?

Ecco's gentle hand then became violent as it slapped Jane across the face. Jane's hand immediately went to her burning cheek. "Now get back to work, you worthless bitch."

--------------------------