chapter twenty-seven

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

--------

                Then, Jane went missing for a month. Bruce and Selina had gotten suspicious when more and more time passed with Jane talking to Jeremiah's comatose body alone. It was odd to them that it was nearing over 30 minutes. It was around the hour mark when they went back into the room, only to find Jeremiah's body still lying on the cot, the window open and Jane gone.  Obviously, they were extremely concerned. But Bruce then thought back to Jane's behavior the past day, especially the way she was staring at Jeremiah. Something was off about her. She looked detached. Maybe she just needed to run away.

Which is what she did.

After staring down at her brother's body, Jane didn't want to be around any of the people involved anymore. She obviously wasn't angry at anyone, except maybe herself, but she just needed to get away. She needed to reassess her life. She needed to go and think with no distractions. Besides, she was safe - in no way would she be in danger anymore.

Taking a month to think in Gotham City was hard for her. The city was getting better nearing the end of the month, but she heard what Bruce, Selina and the rest of them were battling. She had heard Ivy Pepper was back and that she was trying to sabotage the reunification process. The water had been contaminated by Jeremiah's fireworks so they were even more stuck on this island. 

She wanted to help her friends - she really did. But Jane knew herself. She needed to get away from Gotham City, forever and never come back. So she needed to distance herself. If she let them work without her, they wouldn't rely on her anymore. They wouldn't need her. 

Jane took this time to reevaluate her life and to try and figure out how to get off. A week after her disappearance from the Green Zone, Jane had heard the water was on its way to recovering. Rumor had it that the water would be safe in a month. That gave her more than enough time to figure out a way out of here. 

Jane spent majority of the month doing that. She would look through the abandoned boating clubs and ship yards. There must be something left. For three weeks, there was no luck. Until one day, she found a small little light blue rowboat. It was all scratched up but it had all the parts necessary and looked stable and in good condition. That's all Jane cared about. She would've taken anything to cross the water. 

When she found it, Jane looked at the color for a while. The light blue color lit something inside Jane. She never cared much for the color in the past, but for some reason, the color was resonating with her. It reminded her of a soft baby color. It represented a new life that awaited Jane when she crossed that river. By the time she would be across, she would be a different person. No one would have to know about Jane Valeska, ex-mass murderer with past schizophrenic paranoid behavior. She would just be Jane, a nice girl with red hair and big doe eyes that people would admire.

There was a little side in Jane that almost didn't want to leave Gotham City. If that was the life waiting for her on the other side, what would be here for her? She didn't have any job qualifications. Who knew if Selina and Bruce would stay in the city? All she knew is the bodies of her past victims and her dead or comatose family members would follow her around, always reminding her of what she was and what she could once again become.