chapter two

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

              Jane was getting angsty. The whole environment of Arkham was getting to her even more than before. The screams and fighting from the psychos around her made her want to pull her hair out. Jerome was seeking out to ruining her life, and the voices in her head were making it easier for him to do so. However, she tried to remain calm. If she made any sort of reaction to him, it would just feed into his ego - and his head was already large enough.

In the efforts to calm herself, Jane had tried new forms of relaxation. One she found that worked was sketching. Jane was never an artist. She didn't grow up with much positive reenforcement, so she tended to stick to what she knew instead of branching out. In Arkham, Jane had managed to steal some loose papers she found in the halls and had started sketching. First, it was what came to mind - her emotions about everything that was happening, her surroundings, distance places she wished she could travel to. But in the last day, it had been people, more specifically Laney. 

In the moments of true craziness in Arkham, Jane would yearn for Laney's company. She always knew what to say to calm Jane and knew what to do to distract her from their surroundings. Laney, somehow, made Arkham a haven, one Jane didn't want to leave if she weren't with her. Now she was gone, killed, and Jane was back to being alone. 

Jane's small pencil glided the page, making dark lines to shape where Laney's jaw would soon be. Jane, obviously, wasn't using a picture. She was trying to draw Laney strictly from memory, which wouldn't be hard. Every time Jane closed her eyes, she saw her brother shooting her and the blood pouring out her skull - and Jane doing nothing. 

As quickly as that thought entered her mind, she shook it out just as fast. Jane was coaching herself to be more positive, just like Laney had taught her. Jane's fingers around the pencil skillfully turned, making a more precise line. She was roughly halfway through this project, and it was coming along rather nicely. It wasn't the absolute best sketch in the world but Jane was able to see Laney coming through the page. Jane tearfully smiled at it. Just seeing a drawing of her was enough. 

Jane continued, starting on Laney's facial structure - her glowing eyes that always looked full of love when she looked at Jane, her plump pink lips that were always turned up in a smile when she was with Jane, her beautifully perfect white teeth that shown through her lips. Laney was coming through the sketch. Jane was never a spiritual person, but she felt, somehow, Laney was here with her. Laney was watching her through this and loved Jane still. Laney forgave her.

Wow, you're a real nut job now, huh?

Probably, Jane thought back. But when it came to Laney, she didn't care. Laney made her crazy.

As Jane was finishing her work and was feeling happy, she heard a voice - a real one. 

"Hey! Ginger!"

Jane's face slightly hardened. She didn't respond or look up.

"Ginger! Look up!"

Jane stayed focused. She wouldn't look up to whomever was trying to get to her. 

"Lesbo!"

Jane's head snapped up at that. Her name wasn't "Ginger" or "Lesbo." She met eyes with a man she had seen maybe once before in her life. She didn't know his name or why he was in Arkham but she didn't like the smug look on his face as he saw her annoyance. 

"What?" She snapped. 

The man rose his hands in defense, like Jane was being way uncalled for. "Hey, Ginger. Just wanting to talk. You trying to fight?"

Jane narrowed her eyes. "What? Fight?"

The man nodded and moved closer to her. "Yeah. Cause I am."

Jane stared at him weirdly for a second before trying to get away. The man was serious. He was really trying to fight, get a reaction out of her, because once she leapt out of the way, he came charging. Jane wasn't fast enough with getting out of his way. He managed to grab hold of her waist bringing her down with him.

The man landed on top of her, straddling her. Jane thrashed under him, but it was a failure. The man did not hesitate. Immediately, he started punching her. He hit mostly her face but also her chest and stomach. 

Come on, Jane!

Don't just take it. Hit him back! You could totally beat this dude. 

So typical of you just to let yourself be beat. 

Jane wanted to hit him back. She wanted to hit him back so badly. But she couldn't. The fear of what she felt when she fought back with Big T was sitting the back of her mind. Also, she didn't want to give Jerome the satisfaction. She knew this was because of him. He wasn't going to get a reaction. 

He continue to punch her face as a crowd was drawn in, screaming encouragements. Some wanted her to fight back. Deep down, Jane was hoping he would just kill her right there. She didn't want to live in a world where Laney was dead, but Jerome was alive. 

Eventually, she felt the punching getting weaker. The man was getting tired. The punches slowed and he got off her, not sparing her a second look but looking like he felt good about himself. He looked over to the circle, where Jerome had seemingly found his way. Jerome nodded at him with no facial expression, however, it was apparent he approved. 

The crowd started to disperse more, bored now that the fight - or rather Jane's beating - had come to an end. Jerome made his way over to his bruised up sister, grabbing the sketch Jane had been working on and knelt down to her. "Nothing Jane? Not a small bit of reaction out of you?" Jane just continued to stare at him, not giving in even now. Jerome nodded, lifting up the sketch and staring at it. "Cute sketch. It's cute how much you loved her."

She wanted to correct him, wanted to say she loves her because Laney was still alive in her heart. 

Jerome shrugged. "Oh well." Then he ripped the paper in two, completely destroying her artwork. Jane's heart tore to shreds, her eyes tearing up. She wanted to punch the life out of him, make him hurt. It took everything inside her not to. Jerome smiled down at her. "Maybe next time then." He stood, dropping the remains of the sketch at her feet.

Jerome was determined to break her. Jane was coming to fully realize this. She had to protect herself. She sat up and looked around the room. No one was paying attention to her anymore now that she wasn't being beat for their entertainment. It wasn't until she spotted her target that she stood. 

Gus Wade. 

Gus was an inmate of ten years. He was in for the murders of twenty people throughout Gotham and was a real tyrant around Arkham. Since he was here for so long, the guards knew him very well. He was able to make connections and get anything he wanted. He sold some stuff to other inmates, but some couldn't handle the price. 

When Gus looked up at the now bloodied Jane who sat across from him, he knew what she would ask. Jane turned on the charm, despite what she looked like after the fight and lowered her voice.

"What does a girl have to do around here to get a knife?"

hey everyone!

welcome to another chapter!
i know this started a little slow but don't worry! it's about to get really crazy!

i'm super excited for yall to see whats coming up next!

PLEASE COMMENT! comments help with motivation and will help me upload faster when i get feedback. so PLEASE COMMENT !!!!

i'll see you all monday!