chapter seventeen

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

              The lights from the small fixtures illuminated the unfinished penthouse. Jane had just rescued Jeremiah from the police department after he stabbed Selina Kyle. She had very strict instructions to wait until he was able to speak with Bruce to break him out, and that was exactly what she did. Everything had to go perfect. And everything had so far.

Jeremiah was able to capture Bruce Wayne to celebrate the destruction of Gotham. They had planned to blow up the bridges, so no one would be able to leave. It would be a total takeover.

Jane could barely take it. She felt herself getting more and more distressed by each thing Jeremiah did. So many people were going to die. Jeremiah walked in front of Jane, who walked in front of Bruce, who had a sack over his head. Jeremiah's few remaining followers held onto him from either end. He was trapped.

The window was displayed so beautifully. It had a gorgeous view of one of the bridges. It was the perfect place to watch the destruction. In front of the view stood Jeremiah's partner, a mysterious man that went by the name Ra's al Ghul. Jane was terrified of what the man could do.

Jane stood to the side as Jeremiah took the sack off Bruce's head and Ra's al Ghul turned. Bruce stared harshly. "It's true," He confirmed. "How did you two-"

"-Find each other?" Ra's al Ghul finished for him. He smiled. "I'd like to think it was you, Bruce. You brought us together."

The followers brought Bruce closer to Ra's al Ghul as Jeremiah went by the window to look out. Jane stood ideally by, watching everything, making sure she didn't attract too much attention to herself.

"I trust everything went smoothly," Ra's al Ghul spoke. It wasn't much of a question.

Jane nodded by Jeremiah spoke. "Like clockwork." There was a moment of silence. The tension was thick. Jeremiah looked over his shoulder. "Did your men retrieve my bombs?"

"They are en route to their position as we speak."

Bruce, clearly confused, looked towards Jane, knowing she knew. Jane only looked down in shame because, well, she did. 

Ra's al Ghul put his arm around Bruce and guided him closer to the window. "From here, we can take in the full majesty of Gotham's destruction." He abandoned him and left to stand next to Jeremiah, who now that Jane was looking at had a deep bruise developing under his eye. How did that get there?

"You two are insane."

"I know it's difficult to fathom, Bruce." He motioned between himself and Jeremiah. "But Jeremiah and I are doing this for your benefit."

Bruce glared harder. "How is destroying Gotham supposed to help me?"

Ra's al Ghul spoke simply. "Because I had a vision. That out of this crucible of blood and fire will rise the Dark Knight that your city needs. That I need."

That peaked Jane's interest. This was the first she had heard the mention of a vision. What would need to happen for Bruce to become this Dark Knight? What even did that mean?

"To be honest, Bruce," Jeremiah turned to look at the young boy. "Prophecies, visions, not really my cup of tea. But our friend revealed something to me. That my twin obsessions, rebuilding Gotham and rebuilding you, are one and the same." Both men inched closer to Bruce. "You're the brother I never had. The sibling Jane nor Jeremiah could ever be." They both reached Bruce's sides and Jeremiah put a hand on his shoulder. "We will create a legacy in this city. Gotham falls. We rise. Together."