chapter ten

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

             "Whatever you expect as ransom, I'll double it."

Jane watched amusedly as the mayor and other important people of Gotham City were handcuffed to the stolen vane. If only they knew what would happen to them.

The mayor's voice had calmed down a little as he spoke to Jerome. "I have access to the police pension fund."

Jerome nodded his head, pretending to think about it. "Wow, that could be a lot of money."

"That's really tempting, Mister Mayor," Jane commented. She leaned against the van with her arms crossed. "But, we're good."

But the Mayor was not stopping.  He was pulled further into the van and started begging to more of the criminals. "Bridget, isn't it? I can get you safe passage from the city, money, a new home..."

"It was people like you that locked me up in Strange's lab, and thanks to that, there is no Bridget anymore." 

With no help there, he turned to the next person: Jervis Tetch. "I can get you a pardon, son. All will be forgiven. Just stop this lunatic."

"Lunatic is a little harsh. I prefer visionary."

Jane then was the next to make eye contact with the pleading Mayor. "I can get you out of this city. Far from everyone here where no one could get to you. You could live a nice, free life."

Jane pretended to think about it, twisting a strand of red hair around her pointer finger. She slowly inched closer to the man. "That's a real great offer, Mister Mayor. And if I was the same person I was a year ago, I would've accepted it." She looked him straight in the eye. "I tried telling you all how I didn't belong there and now look what I turned into. I would rather see this city burn."

The Mayor was looking like his patience was thinning and his nervousness was starting to become a panic. As a last attempt, he turned to Oswald, who had been rather quiet and observing everything that was happening. "Oswald, can't you do something?"

Oswald had hesitated, which caused most of the criminals in the van to turn and look at him. Finally, he replied. "Afraid not. I am with Mr. Valeska 100%."

"Nice answer, Pengy." Jane's hand collided with his shoulder, causing him to jump a little. 

The Mayor turned around to face Jerome, his voice getting loud. "Every cop in this city will be looking for us, and when they find you, expect no mercy, just a hail of bullets."

Jane giggled. So dramatic.

She wasn't the only one that thought so. "So serious," Jerome commented, staring intently at the anxious Mayor. "That's why your approval ratings are so low." He went to fix the Mayor's tie. "Hey, I'll tell yah what - Try threatening me again, but this time, try it with a smile." The Mayor kept a straight face. "Ah, see, this is what's wrong. Nobody knows how to have fun anymore, right?" He pointed down to Mr. Crane, who stood further down in the van. "But see our friend down there, bag head. He's figured out a way to solve that."

Jane watched carefully as Crane inched towards the middle aged woman that stood next to him. Now was the time. They were gonna test out Crane's new concoction, a laughing gas that turned the individual insane. The purple gas smothered the woman's face as Crane pressed the button to unleash it. It didn't take long for the woman's body to start shaking back and forth and for her laughing to turn into an insane symphony that filled the rest of the van. Jane stared in amazement.