Shallow

AU: Human World

Sophie POV:

"Race you!" Keefe yelled over his shoulder to Fitz, Dex, Biana and me.

"It's ON!" Fitz yelled chasing Keefe into the ocean. Dex pulled Biana into the water by pulling her arm and laughing at her shrieking when she got into the cold water. I sat on my beach towel smiling slightly. I was in my bathing suit but the water looked freezing. Besides, I was working on my summer vacation report for my soon to be Grade 10 teacher. We all met them at the end of Grade 9 and she gave us an assignment to work on during the summer.

"Really Foster? Still working on homework in summer!?" Keefe exclaimed. I jumped ever so slightly, though he still laughed and shook his head in front of my papers, soaking them in water.

"Keefe!" I said some-what angrily. "I was working on that and now it'll be all crumply thanks to you."I said pouting playfully and turning my back and crossing my arms. 

"Aww. Foster. Don't be like that!" I glanced at him and a smirk was smeared across his smug little face. He bent down kissed my forehead then slipped his arms underneath me cackling,

"I'm gonna throw you in!"

"KEEFE!" I shrieked. "You WOULDN'T Dare!" He hadrun my the length of the dock already and was holding me over the ocean.

"Oh! I WOULD!" He grinned evilly and dropped my into the freakin' cold water. I came up sputtering and coughing.

"I'm going to kill you."  I vowed. I swam toward him in long, quick strokes. I wouldn't say that I am an amazing swimmer but I know so tips and some strokes. Keefe just laughed and ducked under the not-so-clear water. 

"Grrr...." I growled softly, under my breath and waded to where Biana, Dex and Fitz were having a splashing contest.

"Soph!" Fitz said, "You finally got in!"

"Well, it was more against my will and I was thrown in by Keefe." I muttered as Dex and Fitz laughed.

"Say, where is Keefe?" Biana asked looking around the beach.

"I dunno, he disappeared after he ungraciously threw me in the water." I replied. I stumbled forward as a wave knocked into my back, spraying me with the chilly water. I felt something brush against my legs. I knew there were fish and little crabs and stuff in the water but this was bigger, it covered all of my lower legs. I slowly ducked under the water and saw a seaweed wrapped around my leg. I began to unravel the seaweed when i realized that we had moved from the shallow water, closer to the edge where it all dropped. Only one thought went through my head as a pair of bright yellow eyes blinked at me. 

'SHARK!'

I swam for my life. I could vaguely hear my friends calling after me. I ran, wobbling to my towel and collapsed in exhaustion. 

"Sophie! What's wrong?" Dex asked, clearly concerned.

"I-I...saw-w a...a....sh-shark-k!" I whispered sobbing uncontrollably. Biana wrapped her arms around me as did Dex and Fitz rubbed my back. "W-we w..were so-so cl-close... t-to it!" I was bawling now. "KEEFE!" I suddenly remembered. He had disappeared. 

"Keefe?" Dex asked Fitz and Biana? "What about Ke--Ohhhh!"  He said as the answer hit him, and hard. His face shifted in to terrified and worried. 

"What? What! WHAT!!??" Biana cried. She was trying to figure it out as well as keeping me from jumping back into the water. Dex grabbed Fitz by the arm and the two of them dove into the sea. I slumped back, onto my towel, out of energy. "Where's Keefe?" Biana asked me more camly. I took a deep breath to stop my tears. We don't know if he's dead yet. 

"The...I think--maybe the sh-sharks..." I broke down but that was all Biana needed before puzzling the pieces together and figured it out. Her eyes grew wide and filled with tears. Though, I surprised her reaction was to wipe her tears and look at me sternly and said,

"Get it together and we'll go look for him." She handed me a pair of goggles and we ran to the water. I took a deep breath before ducking under and swimming after her.

~~~

*45 minutes later*

"Sophie! I'm cold and tired, let's go back. Maybe the boys found him." Biana yelled to me over the waves as we contemplated which direction to go next. 

"Firstly," I began angrily. Truth was I was tired. And hungry. And cold. But Keefe needed us. "You'll risk Keefe's life on 'maybe' and Secondly, do you know which direction is home?" I shouted back.

"Was it my idea to jump into a ocean and swim unknowingly in some random direction to find..." She trailed off as she caught my 'are you serious right now' look.

"There's a little bit of land over there." I said pointing in the direction of a tiny little island covered entirely in trees. We were gasping for breath by the time we made it to the island.

"Suppose now we have to try and find a shelter and build a very contained fire to warm up. Were both in bikinis" I said shuffling further onto the beach and flopping down. Biana flopped down beside me and smiled wanly at me. 

"How are we going to get back?" She whispered to me.

"I...really don't know." I whispered back defeated. Biana wasn't much younger than me but I felt that I was supposed to comfort her in anyway possible so i scooted closer and wrapped my arm around her shoulders. A creepy soft moaning was carried toward us by the wind. I shivered.

"Hey. Hey Soph! Doesn't that whimpering sound like a call? Maybe?" Questioned Biana curiously. I sat up and listened more closely.It did sound like call. Or maybe a cry or a wail. I stood up and made my way toward the eerie wailing. I gasped and looked down.

"Is that b-blood!?" Biana asked clutching her stomach. I nodded. The trail of blood followed through into the creepy dark cave with the eerie moaning.

We started slowly walking to the entrance of the cave. I could now hear someone calling ever-so-faintly for help. I rushed inside and screamed.

A/N: I'm just a little mean! >:-) This is a long one! 

Thoughts on who's in the cave?
Vote:

A.Dex?
B.Keefe?
C.Fitz?
D.Some random person?