This Close Pt. 2

"Well. We've just confirmed it and Mrs. Ruewen has fallen into a coma."

"WHAT!?" I cried. This couldn't be happening.

"Yes. I'm afraid it's true." Dr. Monzo said, he handed his clipboard to the red haired nurse and started to talk with Grady. I leaned into Keefe and he held me steady. I stumbled over to Edaline's bed side. I held her chilly hand my shaky one.

"Come back. Come back to us. Come back Mom." I said bleakly. I placed my lips on her knuckles before Grady came and took me in his arms again.

"We should go home. The Doctors will watch her. We have nothing more to do." He said. I nodded against his chest.

Keefe drove us home in his car. When we got home we called the Dizznee's and told them about Edaline. Juline came over with Dex. The Vacker family came just after the Dizznee's and Della went over to Grady and was explaining something to him. But I was too tired to listen. Fitz stood off to the side with Biana as everyone to explained each other what had happened. Biana, Fitz, Keefe and I went to my room. Keefe and I sat on my bed and Biana took the fluffy blue carpet on the ground while Fitz pulled over my rolly desk chair. My eyes were red and puffy.Somehow I knew tonight was going to be a sleepless night. I sighed and put my head on Keefe's lap as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"Fitz, how did you know about Edaline?" Keefe asked curiously.

"Ummm, Well... I was in the car... that Grady crashed into." He said quietly, looking down.

"WHAT?!?!??!" Keefe and I yelled at the same time.

"How are you not hurt?" I asked the same time Keefe asked,

"Why would you be so stupid on the road. You only just got your license!"

"Well, I forgot to put on the turning signal..." He said rubbing the back of his head. "I'm not hurt because he only bumped my bumper, the real damage were the cars behind them. I was told that the passenger air bag didn't inflate, that's why Edaline is more hurt then Grady." He whispered. I stared at Fitz in shock. Biana got up and walked over to her brother and touched his shoulder lightly,

"We should go." She said in a faint voice. Fitz nodded. He began walking out but stopped and looked back at me, his mouth opened and closed before Biana tugged him out of the room.

I don't know when I fell asleep, but I woke up in Keefe's arms. The sunlight was peeking through my thick velvet curtains.

"Sophie?" Keefe asked, groggily.

"Wake up babe." I said urgently, shaking his shoulders. "Edaline's still in the hospital." Keefe sat up and kissed me. I changed quickly and we went to the kitchen.

"Here's a note from Grady." Keefe said handing it to me.

Hey Honey
I'm at the hospital with Edaline. Come over after you eat breakfast.
Love Dad.
Xoxoxo

I put the note down on the table and opened the fridge. I pulled out milk and cereal. Keefe poured them into two bowls. We ate silently and quickly.  Keefe drove us to the hospital. We ran to Edaline's room and I gave her a kiss on the cheek. Dr. Monzo came in and talked to Grady quietly by the door.

"Hey Honey!" Grady called. I walked over tentatively. "Dr. Monzo said the Edaline is coming around. She is falling out of her coma!" I wrapped my arms around Grady tightly. 

"That's amazing! She'll be alright, right?" I asked looking up at him. 

"Well Dr. Monzo said that she'll be disoriented and her speech and strength will need therapy because of the coma and that will probably take maybe a year or a little less." My eyes watered.

"So she won't be okay?" I ask meekly falling into Keefe and pressing my head into his chest. 

"She will be but it'll take some time." Grady explained gently. I slowly slide down onto the ground and cried. I thought about all the fun times I've had with her and all the bad times too. She'll never be the same Edaline who adopted me even though her daughter died 3 years ago. She won't be the same Edaline who threw massive sleepover parties and baked the best mallow melt in the world. Before I knew it I was drifting off into a dreamless sleep. I awoke in the armchair next to Edaline's bed. I blinked my eyes a couple of times and looked around. Grady was asleep in the armchair by the window and Keefe.... Where was Keefe? I sat up straighter spotted Keefe. He was cross legged on the ground with his head on the starch white walls. I got up and walked over to him. I sat beside him and leaned my head on his broad shoulder, thinking.

~"Here's some soup sweetie. Home made and it'll hopefully make your throat feel better." Edaline said handing Sophie a TV tray with a bowl of steaming soup and kleenex. Sophie lifted her head, tired and sick. Her nose was red and stuffy and her throat was coarse and sore. "Thanks Mom."~

Edaline had the coolest job, she worked as a savage animal zoo keeper and wrangled the vilest and ferocious creatures in the world. But she was very gentle and caring and kind too. And was the world's best mom ever!

~"Edaline! Mom! Over here!" Sophie waved her hand in the air. She had just graduated 6th grade and read a speech of thanks. "Honey! You were amazing! Let's go out to dinner tonight." Edaline exclaimed taking my hand and leading me out of the school.~

"Sophie. Hey!" Keefe said waving his hand in front of my face. "Hello? Are you there?"

"Huh!? Oh...ya. Sorry Keefe, I was just....thinking." I sighed. Keefe ran his fingers through my hair.

"She'll be okay you know. Edaline's a fighter and she'll be great again in no time!" Keefe said, reassuring me. I nodded slowly, wrapping my arms around him.

She will be. Because she's strong. And she needs to come back for me and Grady.

A/N

And that was... Close Pt.2!! Hope you enjoyed.... I might do a part three where biana and fitz make an appearance...

Hello, yes, I'm back!!!! Sorry for the long wait. School has been crazy!
Hope y'all are liking your classes!!
I'll try to post again next week! 

Until Next Time! ;-)