Healing | 12

It's been three days since the death of Pyg, and Dicks slip.  After Tim had told Damian the story, he had gone to bed, and Damian had as well. 

Jason and Dick had apparently stayed up nearly all night, talking.  Never managing to sleep until 6:05 AM.  Dick was still in rough shape.

The next morning, Jason had explained that he's helped Dick like this before, but it's different now that Bruce is gone.  There's no father or mentor to lead the Talon. 

Dick had stayed in his room for the most part, skipping patrol.  He did eat, without Alfred ordering him.  He may be in guilt, but he wasn't foolish.

Not after last time, when he was thirteen, Alfred threatened to spoon feed him, and nearly did. 

Tim had informed the press that Dick was on a trip, and would be back within a week.  That was putting a time limit on the recovery.

Dick didn't speak either.  Tim had informed Damian that Talons had a code of silence, and apparently Dick was falling back into it for a bit.  He said it shouldn't last long.

Hopefully...

___________________________________________
Wayne Manor - 9:21 AM

Damian walked down the stairs, heading toward the dining room for breakfast.  He hoped Richard would be there, but as expected, he wasn't. 

Jason and Tim sat eating biscuits and gravy Alfred had prepared.  Damian was about to join them, but paused.  He huffed.  Dick needed to come out of his loathing guilt and move on. 

Damian excused himself, and headed back up the stairs.  He walked down the hall, until reaching the room that's nameplate said 'Richard Grayson'.

He knocked on the door without hesitating.  He didn't hear anything, but the door did open, and he was greeted with the man he searched for. 

Dick stood there, in a black shirt and blue jeans.  His hair was brushed and he looked over all, well.  His eyes however, were blue.  He was wearing the contact lenses.

"Gra-"  Damian caught himself.  He remembered Tim telling him the story, and how Dick did not prefer to be called Grayson.  So he restarted.  "...Richard."  He greeted.

Dick only tilted his head.  A silent Quiestion.  Damian hesitated, before nodding.  "I wish for you to come join us for breakfast."  Damian stated.

Dick blinked.  He tilted his head some more, and looked apologetic.  "Then may we... talk?"  Damian asked, trying to get something.

Dick hesitated, before nodding, opening his door wider for Damian to walk in, before closing it behind him.  Dick was silent, but it was obvious he was waiting. He stood with his shoulders back, and arms folded.

Damian studied him, before replying.  "You know what it is..." He said, to which older man slowly nodded.  "Yes, I believe I do..."  He said quietly, a little scratchy.

Damian let a small silence fall, before going again.  "Forgive me, but I am not best with situations as this."  He supplied.  "But I wish to talk with you on this matter, in hopes to... help you."  Damian said uneasily.

"That is appreciated, Damian.  However, I am unsure."  Dick sighed.  The younger one nodded.  "But is it not best to try?"  That earned Damian a smirk.  "I guess so."  Dick said, as he sat down at his desk, and turned the chair to face Damian.

"I never got to say thank you...  for saving me from a gruesome fate."  Damian said, glancing at the floor, before back to the former Talon.  "So thank you." 

"Not a problem."  Dick said.  He then hesitated, before adding shamefully.  "I do, however, wish that it had been in a better manner.  I am unhappy that you had to see the Talon and it's way." 

Damian understood.  He knew that Talons are under the control of the court, and so the Talon and Richard are different beings.  Talon is a ruthless slayer, and Richard is a hero.

"Its nothing to be ashamed of.  It was a accident." Damian attempted, still unsure of the right approach.  "You and Talon are not the same people."  He stated.

Dick nodded.  "While that is true, Talon has to be controlled.  I failed to do so, and that cost a life."  He said sadly.  "But it saved one."  Damian informed, confident of that remark.  Dick looked at him.

"Yes.  Which I am thankful for."  He told.  "But what of next time? The one after?  So forth?  If it keeps happening, I'm afraid it will only get easier."  He informed, disappointment in his own self evident.

Damian was silent for a moment.  The former Talon lowered his head, his currently blue eyes gazing down at the hard wood flooring.  Damian studied the man, debating, and making strategy.  Because that's what this felt like. 

Finally, the young boy walked away from the older boy, and went into the bathroom.  He bent down, and opened the cabinet, pulling out a mirror.  He then closed it, and walked back toward Dick, mirror in hand.

He handed held the item so that Dicks reflection showed.  "What do you see?"  Damian asked flatly.  Dick looked up half heartedly, locking eyes with himself.

"Myself."

"Who are you?"

"Dick Grayson."

"And?"

...

"Dick Grayson, professional acrobat and former Talon of the Court Of Owls.  Currently the masked vigilante, Nightwing."

"I thought there was another name in the end of 'Grayson'."  Damian stated slyly, tilting his head.  There was another pause, before the silence was broke.

"Wayne."  Dick said.

"Precisely."  Damian responded, before going on with his plan. "Your Dick Grayson-Wayne.  Your Nightwing.  Your a professional acrobat." 

"But a former Talon is not on that list."  Damian informed.  "Hence, the word former."  He added.  "Who you are now, is not to be based on the who you were."  Damian went on.

"Nor does the who you are, be effected by the who your going to be.  You cannot change the past, or control the future.  You only have the present, and that in itself you cannot control either."  Damian spoke.

"But you can guide it in a direction.  The choices you make.  You told me in the beginning that I had to choose side.  I have.  I chose the side Father created.  I chose the side that chose you."  Damian told.  Dick was now staring at him instead of the mirror.

"You didn't choose the Talon.  You didn't choose the court.  It chose You, but then you chose freedom, and that's what you have today.  Use it, and let the rest be history.  Advance into the future, and choices is what awaits."  Damian concluded.

"What Ifs can go on forever, but you don't have forever, Richard."  The young Wayne stated.  "Father saw it fit to make you a Wayne, so make him proud.  You don't have to choose the cowl, but it chose You, so it's open." 

"I choose to believe in you, no matter the stakes.  That's because you chose me."  Damian finished up.

"Now that choices are made, move on." 

...

......

............

"Your right, whatever half of that was."  Dick smirked, joking.  Although, it was a sign that he understood, and was obeying.

Damian smirked and nodded.  He then turned away.  "And get to the table, Pennyworth grows irritable." 

That one earned him a laugh.

Yeah, it would be okay.