chapter 1

To say that I was having a rough morning was an understatement.

It all started when I woke up late and went only downhill from there. On the way to the bus station, I accidentally stepped on a piece of gum that completely ruined my shoes. Then I decided to stop at a coffee place and buy drinks for my boss and a few colleagues, but I ended up spilling them on my white shirt halfway to the office. It wasn't even eight in the morning and I was already failing at life, but that wasn't anything new to me. I was known to have bad luck following me everywhere I went and I had already gotten used to it. That didn't stop me from complaining how unfair the world was though.

I barged in to a coffee place, walked right past the line and pushed the man that was just standing at the counter away. The cashier blinked at me with surprise, while I grabbed the three cups of coffee she just prepared for him and pointed at my shirt. '' Look, I know that I am being an asshole, but as you can see by my ruined shirt, I am having a bit of a rough morning. I'm going to take these now, thank you. ''

I pulled a wrinkled bill from the pocket of my blazer and slammed it on the counter. I was about to grab the plastic holder with the coffee cups and rush away, when the man who's drinks I just told began: '' Miss, that would be my coffee and- ''

'' I said, it's an emergency! '' I almost yelled and turned towards him with rage.

He jumped back with surprise at my sudden outburst. Then he noticed the coffee stains on my shirt and tilted his head to the side. His eyebrows furrowed together and he murmured: '' But it looks like you already had coffee this morning and I was planning to take those to my new job- ''

'' New job? '' I interrupted him and forcefully smiled. '' I am going to be the one looking for a new job if you don't let me take your coffee! My boss already hates me and he is dying to find a reason to fire me! Now one of these three coffees better be caffeine free, because otherwise I'm going to come back to hunt your sorry ass! ''

He seemed slightly confused that I was threatening him, when I was the one who stole his coffee. Then he pointed to one of the cups and seriously muttered: '' Do you always start your mornings by almost having a mental breakdown or is today an exception? You are screaming and everyone is staring at us. ''

'' Not really. Only about five out of the seven mornings a week, '' I responded, lowering my voice to almost a whisper. I realised that I really was behaving a little crazy and my cheeks turned bright red in embarrassment. '' Thanks a lot for the coffee by the way, you just saved my future. ''

With those words, I turned around and ran off. My face was slightly reddened and I was breathing fast when I reached the office. I stumbled through the entrance, pushed a strand of my long dark hair from my face and took a deep breath. Then I put on my best fake smile and showed my identification card at the guards that were standing by entrance. My eyes slightly narrowed at the one that was clearly judging my appearance, buttoned my blazer to hide my coffee stained shirt and walked past him with my head held high.

My boss looked like she wanted to grab her laptop and beat me with it, when I walked in to the office thirty minutes late, but she calmed down, when she saw I brought her coffee. It was a trick that I learned three months ago when I barely joined the prosecution office and had to spend some time shadowing her. She was always sleep deprived and in a bad mood in the morning, but somehow she never found the time to stop and buy coffee herself. Perhaps it was because she knew others would do that just to kiss up to her, because not long after the building where we used to work exploded, the boss of our office promoted her and now she was the head of our floor.

I handed the caffeine free cup to one of her two assistants and gave to the third one to the other one. The young man and woman thankfully smiled, while Kim Hyeji suddenly barked: '' Sun-ah! This is not my usual coffee order! Why does it have caramel in it? ''