uno

uno: una notte in palermo

one: a night in palermo

˚ ੈ♡࿐

Everything looks prettier under the Sicilian sun. At least that's what the tourist guides always say, even if I don't really understand why. Perhaps it's because in the middle of the day, when the sun is at it's highest, you can't help it but to squint your eyes, so you don't really see anything at all. With your eyes open, Casana is not really all that pretty, but the sunlight, together with an ocean even bluer than the walls outside of our local fish market and way more ice cream places than we really need, makes it almost too easy for the town to fake perfection.

In reality, nothing is ever perfect.

That night, the restaurant 'Da Salvatore', was even more crowded than usual. The tables were packed with both locals and tourists who came there to eat dinner and listen to the live music. The air was filled with relaxed chatter and soft piano tunes, that were coming from the restaurant's stage. I was trying to hold back my drool and not stare at the plates full of different types of pasta as I hurried past the tables and made my way towards the more private area, where the sitting booths were separated by matted glass, curtains and other decorations.

It was a bit late for making a delivery, but when I got an order from Salvatore himself, I had no choice but to listen. The man's eyes shined at the sight of the package that I was carrying under my arm and despite my growing curiosity, I managed to keep myself from asking any questions. With people like Nicolo Salvatore, it was never good to ask questions. That was why I was prepared to take my tip and leave, but he ended up being the one to stop me.

'' Hey, hold on a moment. Yeah, I'm still talking to you, so stop looking so confused. Did you see anyone else walk to my table? '' I slowly turned around at the sound of Salvatore's irritated voice and looked towards his booth. He was sitting together with another man, who was tapping his fingers on a briefcase and trying to hide how nervous and impatient he was. The sound of my loud sniffling, made him raise his gaze and look towards me too. '' How old are you? ''

Why the heck is he asking something like that all of a sudden?

'' Eighteen. ''

The man who was tapping on the briefcase earlier, now looked at Salvatore and asked: '' Is that the same age as your nephew? ''

'' I think that it's close enough, '' Salvatore carelessly replied and pulled some more money from his pocket. My breath got caught in my throat and my eyes grew wide at the sight of the five euros bill that he held in my direction. Paper money was a very welcome rarity in my life. '' Do me a favour, postgirl and go hang out with my nephew for a while. Sehun should be somewhere in the kitchen right now and I don't want him coming here and interrupting my business meeting, okay? You get what I mean, don't you? ''

What exactly am I supposed to get?

My lips stretched in to a grin. '' Of course. ''

I took the money before the man would change his mind and go look for someone more appropriate for the job. I had no idea who this 'Sehun' was, but I was intrigued, because judging from the sound of his name, another Korean just arrived on the island. I was also instantly in a better mood, because I thought of babysitting jobs as easy money, even if Danny didn't really let me do them anymore.

Well, what zio Danny doesn't know, won't hurt him.

That is, unless I happen to accidentally lose a child again and have no choice but to call him for help.