prologue | [magic duet]

'' after the first note resonated through the hall, you became everything I yearn for ''

***

I should've known that something was wrong when I was asked to go to school in the middle of summer.

I heard the music before I even reached the fancy building and once I saw the posters that were hung up by the doors, I instantly realised what my aunt's plan was. I was supposed to bring her lunch while she was working and there I was - baggy sweatpants, hood covering messy hair and some green coloured smoothie in my hands. I painfully stood out in the crowd of nervous students that were standing around and waiting for their turn. It was their one and only chance to prove themselves and get in to the school of their dreams. It was the most prestigious arts and music college in Seoul and studying here was almost a guarantee to a career in music.

People liked to say that I was being overly dramatic when I told them how my aunt was secretly plotting world domination, but they haven't seen the things that I saw. It was especially scary if I passed the door of her room after midnight and saw her watching reruns of old episodes of The real housewives and laughing hysterically.

Maybe I could find a way to blame this on her too?

I was laying on the ground and looking at the smoothie that I just spilled all over the floor.

It was good that she was trying to be healthier, but this would've never happened if she just admitted to herself that it wasn't working for her and went back to her regular diet of cheap fast food, even cheaper tteokbokki and beer. It wasn't like I didn't notice the way my snacks drawer got emptier every day, despite me not eating anything. There was a time when I thought I was going crazy and she tried to convince me that I was probably just 'sleep snacking'.

I swear it's a real thing, I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, Nari.

Yeah right.

She even tried to convince me that the crunching that I was hearing from her room was from her eating carrots and not chips.

'' Why are you laying on the floor? ''

There was a reason why I randomly tripped while walking down the hallways of the school and looking for my aunt. Someone was laying on the ground, his arms were crossed on his chest and he was staring at the ceiling with a deathly serious expression on his face. '' Why are you laying on the floor? I decided to dedicate the rest of my life to being a carpet. Are you trying to compete with me? Because I will crush you. There can be only one carpet in this hallway. ''

'' Jongdae, you aren't going to believe what just happened to me while I was trying to climb on that tree and get the carpet that you threw out the window before laying down in it's place! '' someone's voice suddenly spoke up and I turned my head to look at the other guy that just appeared from down the hallway. His t-shirt was revealing his muscular arms and his light brown hair was pulled back by a cap. His eyes slightly widened at the sight of the situation before he awkwardly smiled. '' Oh, hi. Did you trip on my friend? I'm sorry, he's just being a little over dramatic because he heard the judges saying that he was 'one of the best'. ''

I frowned in confusion and slowly picked myself up from the ground. '' I don't get where's the problem? ''

The stranger let out a nervous laugh. '' It's the 'one' part. ''

'' That's what I get for listening to you and going out drinking yesterday! '' the guy that was pretending to be a carpet suddenly said and pointed at his friend in accusation.