tre

tre: giorno dopo giorno

three: our day to day lives

˚ ੈ♡࿐

Afternoons with no work, were my absolute favourite. They were a rarity, brief hours that seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. Sometimes on the beach, sometimes in the shade of one of Casana's bars, but more often than not, in the shadowy corners of the Girasoli youth center. Danny let Kyungsoo and I stay there, as long as we helped out when he had work to do, but that was even rarer than days when both my friend and I were free. The youth center always had it's doors open, but the only ones that ever came by, were tourists who were looking for someone to babysit their kids. That was why Danny and I mostly focused on hosting different events in Palermo or on other parts of the islands, while Kyungsoo and I did our best at looking after the children that sometimes ended in our care.

Lately, things were starting to change though. These afternoons that were once reserved for fun and playing music, now Kyungsoo had to spend working on his homework. I understood that his exam period was approaching, but I still didn't understand why he had to spend every free moment studying for something that didn't even interest him. '' I still can't believe that you actually enrolled in to agricultural college instead of telling your parents that you want to be an actor. How can you even bring yourself to study for something that you don't care about? I know that I'm too dumb to do that. ''

I was laying on one of the desks in the largest room of the youth center. The sun was shining through the opened window by my side, curtains were fluttering in the faint breeze and my face was covered by one of Kyungsoo's textbooks. The air held the strong scent of pines and it made me remember how I'll have to plan to go picking pine nuts one day.

'' You aren't necessarily dumb. '' Kyungsoo was sitting at one of the desks in the front of the room and flipping through a textbook about agronomy. '' You just know everything about the things that don't really matter... And have the attention span of a fish. ''

'' Do you want to go picking pine nuts tomorrow? ''

'' My point exactly. ''

'' Your point about what? ''

'' Nothing... '' Kyungsoo looked up from his book and took a sip from the glass bottle by his side. It was full of elder juice that his mother specialized in. Tourists were crazy for it, but I drank so much of it all through childhood, that I couldn't bring myself to even smell it without gagging anymore. '' You want to go picking pine nuts already? Isn't it still a little too early? Let's wait for another week or two. ''

I opened my mouth and started telling him about how the best spot near Casana, got discovered by a group of tourists. I was sure that they were going to steal all of the pine nuts like they did last year and I wanted to beat them to it. My grandmother insisted on getting a large supply at the beginning of every summer and when I came home empty handed, she forced me to climb on a nearby hill where she used to get them when she was young. The climb itself wasn't that bad, but I was still traumatized because of all of the snakes that I met on the way.

'' How about some quiet time? '' Kyungsoo interrupted me somewhere in the middle of the story that he clearly didn't care about and lowered his head again.

'' Of course. No problem. '' I lifted myself in a sitting position and scrunched up my nose. '' Now that I think of it, that is exactly what I said when my grandmother started yelling at me about how my poor snake fighting skills, will never get me a husband. Apparently, you have to fight monsters even scarier than them when you get married and you gain custody of the house's pantry and- ''