Chapter Three

*I do... want someone - need someone. And when I'm with you, I feel like I'm a better person. I feel happier, less... alone. Less lonely. But it's not as simple as that is it? Being with someone?*
-Naomi Campbell, Skins

Callie's P.O.V.

I had finally escaped from work on Friday night, early, at that - and had quickly rushed home to shower and change. As soon as I was ready, I headed over to Sal's on the subway. Thankfully, there weren't too many weirdos tonight, and I escaped with a peaceful ride. A half an hour later, Sal was ushering me inside. I rushed in, grateful to escape the chill in the air. I ditched my coat and purse on his recliner, and dropped down next to him on the couch.

"So how was work tonight?" He asked. "You get out early?"

"Good, actually." I replied. "And yeah, Carla came in early for me."

"That's awesome. I was getting bored over here, waiting for you," he said, smiling. "Are you hungry? I was thinking we could order a pizza?"

"Yes, that sounds great. I'm starving. I didn't eat at work tonight; I was saving my appetite because I thought you might want to order in. Oh, I brought some movies too," I said, placing them on the coffee table.

"Cool, I'll call real quick. The usual?"

"Yep," I agreed. 

He went into the kitchen to order and grab us drinks and only seconds after he got up, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out to see that Brian had texted me. I'd totally forgotten that I had given him my number.

Hey you. Hope work isn't horrible. Still on for tomorrow?

Who's this? I teased.

Ryan.

Oh, Ryan! Right. I actually made my great escape already. And yes, I guess I can pity you and spend a few minutes with you tomorrow.

You are a total philanthropist.

Your charity work will not go unnoticed.

You will go down in the history of sainthood.

Really - just a truly giving person.

So you're still ok with hanging at my place? I replied, laughing at his responses.

More than ok. I'll even bring food.

Better just eat before you come. I can't eat in front of the kids.

Come on, do you think I was raised by wolves? Of course I'll bring enough for everyone.

You don't need to do that. I don't want you spending all that money.

Too bad. I was thinking of just grabbing a bunch of Chinese - sound good?

You're stubborn. Sure, sounds great.

I'M stubborn? Hmmm.

"Hey, what are you laughing at over there?" Sal asked.

"Oh - nothing. Sorry. I know, totally rude. I'll put it away!"