Kim Lip (LOONA)

Genre: fluff??? but mostly angst

➵ Requested: yES

➵ Warnings: none but this is 2.8k words so buckle in

➵ Title: Lift me up

********

The moment you come to a stop outside the coffee shop that sits a few blocks away from the Physics Research Building, you know you've screwed up.

There was no way around it now, no going back. No matter how many times you mulled over the situation, this seemed to be the only plausible outcome with the least damage taken to your pride. Though ultimately, it all depended on the possibility that your ex-girlfriend could even consider giving you the time of day to even hear your proposition out and not cast you back outside into the humid air of March without a second thought. You probably would have done the same thing to someone that broke 2 years of a relationship and many more of friendship in less than five minutes.

You don't know how to calm your nerves as you wait for her to finish her shift. Lord, it's been months since you last saw her face-to-face. You'd only seen her in passing a few times here and there, after all, your friends used to be her friends and some of them still were but you'd done your part in refraining from group activities in the hopes that the atmosphere wouldn't drastically descend into a pit of awkwardness and silence. You consider it as doing a favour for her, and for you.

Taking a deep breath, you hope to regain a sense of balance. The only reason why you're standing outsideㅡ in the stuffy air that comes with spring, was because you had omitted an enormous part of your relationship status to your mom. You hadn't really thought it important to call your family and tell them that you and Jungeun were no longer a thing. Of course, you didn't mean to not inform them but then again, you didn't necessarily make it a priority either.

Your family had always been big on huge get-togethers and Lip being your close friend ㅡturned girlfriend, automatically invited her to everything your parents hosted.

Now it was almost Easter ㅡyou'd spend the last two with Lip, driving the seven hours back home together and stay with your loud family for two days. Usually, it didn't bother you how tight-knit your extended relatives are but ever since your mom told you that your great-grandmother was going to be around this year, you couldn't find it within yourself to tell her that Jungeun would not be coming along. She basically worshiped her, loved her through and through with that frail heart of hers. As if in a state of dissociation, you heard yourself say "Yeah, we'll be there. Don't worry," before you could even think twice about it.

Afterward, you just wanted to crawl up in a hole and die. The entire situation was ridiculous and you hated yourself for not letting your mother know the truth. Yes, your great-grandmother would be devastated but anything was better than having to stuff your tail betwen your legs and ask Lip for help. You could almost picture the look of disinterest in her eyes when you asked for the favour. She'd never beem good at hiding her emotions, something you found odly endearing at first. Her eyes always seemed to explain more than words ever could. It's been even longer since your last full coherent conversation with her. You tried asking her about the unimportant thingsㅡschool, work. The only problem is that Lip hated small talk, essentially sweeping any chance at a normal interaction under a rug.