Chapter 7

Deposed Empress General 7- Tribute Girl

Great Yan's palace, the gate was lined with gold, engraved with auspicious symbols, the door faced the heavens, demonstrating the might of the heavenly family. Zuo Canglang couldn't help but look left and right, but Murong Yan lightly said, "Lower your head!" She quickly lowered her head, and Wenqi, who was by the side, upon hearing his voice, turned his head to look over here. Murong Yan said, "The servants don't know the rules, making Marshal Wen witness a joke."

Wenqi took a look at Zuo Canglang, and seeing that she was only a half-mature child, he just nodded a bit, revealing a light smile. Even though he was someone who walked the path of military warfare and blood, he still managed to reveal a scholarly and noble aura. As a tier one military official, he actually didn't have the posture of one who takes advantage of others nor pushes others around.

Following the officials to enter the palace, king Yan set forth a feast in Zhang Ding hall, generously hosting the Western Jing emissaries the whole way. Tne court officials were all present to show the importance of the occasion. Murong Yan's seat was far away from king Yan's, and the queen sat in the phoenix seat, the crown prince Murong Ruo sat by king Yan's right hand, with Wenqi sitting by his left side.

The distance was too great for Zuo Canglang to take a look at the queen's countenance; she only saw the extravagant headdress atop her head, shimmering glamorously within the imperial hall. The servant girls all dressed in white shirts and pink dresses, bringing forth the dishes like butterflies, and musicians began playing their instruments, gathering around like a few flowers, bringing an atmosphere of joy. Within the rowdy hall, a stream of music and song rang out.

King Yan rose, toasting the Western Jing emissary, official Zhu, with a cup of wine, saying, "Emissary has come a long way here, as though we have received an auspicious omen in the form of a dove. With this toast, one wishes Western Jing's emperor highness has a long and peaceful time, with Great Yan and Western Jing sharing the same heart and same actions, his great reign being passed down forever."

Official Zhu drank this toast, his whole face flushed, his expression great, "His highness heard that Yan country has many beautiful women, and when I was leaving, he especially ordered this official to bring five hundred beautiful women back to Jing. King Yan wouldn't be too unwilling, right?"

King Yan was past fifty, but his face was still somewhat similar to that of Murong Yan, and one could still somewhat see his youthful handsomeness. Hearing these words, he considered for a moment, smiling a bit later, and then finally saying, "Receiving the emperor highness's grace, is Yan country's fortune. How could there be a reason to brush it off?"

Official Zhu joined the beat of the music, saying "It's best that King Yan understands it. His majesty is merciful, king Yan is virtuous and capable, Western Jing and Yan country, can be joined like blood-related relatives, remaining peaceful for generations."

King Yan smiled as he drank, but blue veins were popping out of his forehead-- another five hundred Yan girls. Every year, the number of girls that Yan country had sent to Western Jing, was frivolously given as gifts by Western Jing's emperor, like livestock; their lives were wretched and worthless like critters. He took a look at the officials in court, but the officials had all lowered their heads to drink wine. The heavens willing, gathering tribute girls, that time of action that would definitely be cursed as a bitch, please don't let it fall to my head.

King Yan and the various officials all drank another cup, as the music changed to a different song. Official Zhu turned around to listen, suddenly coldly smiling, "What is the name of this song?"

The musicians didn't actually stop playing, coldly responding, "Tomorrow, one seeking the vice, to recognize what a bastard is!"1

Official Zhu was enraged, throwing his cup, yelling, "King Yan, I was ordered by the emperor, for the sake of continuing the long peace and harmony between Western Jing and Great Yan. You've actually ordered someone to come and embarrass this emissary, are you planning on waging war with Western Jing?!"