Chap 3

The Pevensies and I rushed over to the steps before going down them. The car that we assumed as the professors honked while passing us.

"The professor knew we were coming" Susan stated, slightly confused.

"Then where is he?" I muttered quietly.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labeled" Edmund said while looking down at his own label.

"Come on, hup!" A woman's voice sounded from a little ways away. The sound of a sort of carriage and galloping from horses started to rise in volume as a woman appeared.

"And whoa. Whoa" The woman said while she slowed the horses to a stop in front of us.

"Mrs. Macready?" Peter asked after exchanging glances with Susan and I.

"I'm afraid so" The woman said as she observed all of us. "Is this it, then? Haven't you brought anything else?"

"No ma'am" Peter said before looking down.

"It's just us" I continued for him.

Lucy nodded her head quickly, as if to say 'We aren't lying'

"Small favors" Mrs. Macready said before nodding at the wooden carriage.

"If this is how Mrs. Macready acts all the time, I feel awfully bad for the professor" I said, quietly enough for the Pevensies to hear. Lucy giggled, Edmund smiled, Susan gave me a stern look and Peter grinned at me.

~

"Come on. Good girl. Come on. Come on" Mrs. Macready said as we steadily were taken up the hill towards the professors house.

~

"Professor Kirke is not accustomed to havin' children in the house" Mrs. Macready said as we entered the house.

"And, as such, there are a few rules we need to follow. There will be no shoutin'" She turned to face us at the last sentence before turning back. "Or runnin', no improper use of the dumbwaiter" She continued as she ascended the stairs.

Susan reached forward to touch, what I assumed as, a marble statue of a mans head, neck and shoulders. "NO touching of the historical artifacts!" Mrs. Macready screamed the beginning word as she rounded to face us.

I lent toward Peter. "So much for no shouting" I whispered before pulling back. Peter stifled a laugh before taking my hand in his.

Peter and Edmund exchanged a look before, once again, stifling a laugh. Lucy glanced down quickly before looking up. Susan observed all of us before turning back to Mrs. Macready.

"And above all, there shall be no disturbin' of the Professor" And with that, we were following Mrs. Macready to out rooms.

~

I was sat on an armchair by the window as Peter sat on top of it, watching the rain. The radio playing the events of the war so far. I looked up when Susan turned off the radio, nodding her head towards Lucy who was sniffling. I got up from the chair just before Peter got down.

"The sheets feel scratchy" Lucy stated, looking down at her covers as we walked over. Peter sat down on the edge of the bed, Susan standing at the foot of the bed, while I stood next to Peter.

"Wars don't last forever Lucy" Susan reassured with a small smile. "We'll be home soon"

"Yeah, if home's still there" Edmund said as he entered the room.

"Isn't it time you went to bed?" Susan asked with a sigh.

Edmund scoffed. "Yes, mum"

"Ed!" Peter scolded.

"Calm down, Pete" I said softly, placing my hand in his shoulder. Peter turned to face me, giving me a small smile before turning his attention back to Lucy.

"You saw outside. This place is huge. We can do whatever we want here. Tomorrow's going to be great. Really" Peter reassured Lucy with a comforting smile.