Chap 9

"Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on" Mr. Beaver began. "Nice cup o' Rosa Lee" He said as we looked at a house made of tree branches, the windows illuminated.

"It's lovely" Lucy complimented.

"It's merely a trifle" Mr. Beaver said. "Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though"

We neared the house as a female voice rang out;

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick" A female Beaver came out of the house. "If I find you've been out with Badger again, I..." She stopped when she saw us come closer to the doorway. "Oh! Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day. Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?"

"I'd have given a week if I thought it would've helped" Mr. Beaver replied just before we chuckled.

"Oh, come inside, and we'll see if we can get you some food, and some civilized company" Mrs. Beaver said before going inside.

"Now, careful. Watch your step" Mr. Beaver said. We all began to enter the house.

"Excuse the mess. Can't get Mr. Beaver to get out of his chair"

~

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked.

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's house. You know what they say. There's few things that go through the gates that come out again" Mr. Beaver said.

"Fish 'n' chips?" Mrs. Beaver asked, setting a plate in front of Lucy. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope"

Mr. Beaver spat out his drink. "Oh, yeah, there's a right but mire than hope! Aslan is on the move"

"Who's Aslan?" Edmund asked.

"Who's Aslan?" Mr. Beaver laughed. "You cheeky little blighter. What?"

We all looked at Mr. Beaver with confused looks.

"You don't know, do you?" Mr. Beaver asked.

"Well, we haven't exactly been here very long" Peter reminded.

"Well, he's only the king of the whole wood. The top geezer. The real king of Narnia"

"He's been away for a long while" Mrs. Beaver put in.

"But he's just got back!" Mr. Beaver continued. "And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!"

"He's waiting for us?" Lucy asked.

"You're bloomin' joking! They don't even know about the prophecy!"

"Well, then..."

"Look. Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, It's all happening because of you!"

"You're blaming us?" Susan questioned.

"No! Not blaming. Thanking you" Mrs. Beaver reassured.

"There's a prophecy. 'When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits at Cair Paravel in throne, the evil time will be over and done'"

"You know, that doesn't really rhyme" Susan stated.

"If that wasn't obvious enough" I huffed.

"I know it don't. You're kinda missin' the point!"

"That's because we don't understand!" I stated, raising my arms up before setting them down. Peter took my hand and gave it a quick squeeze.

"It has long been foretold that two Sons of Adam and three Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia" Mrs. Beaver said dreamily.

There was an awkward silence before Peter broke it;

"And you think we're the ones?"

"Well you'd better be, 'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army"

"Our army?" Lucy and I exclaimed.

"Mum sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in a war" Susan said to Peter.

"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes" Peter stated, a small hint of nervousness hiding in between the words.

"We're from Finchley" I said sadly. "Not from bloody Narnia"

Mr and Mrs. Beaver shared a look.

"Thank you for your hospitality" Susan said, getting up. "But we really have to go"

"No, you can't just leave!" Mr. Beaver said as Peter stood up, letting of of my hand.

"He's right. We have to help Mr. Tumnus" Lucy said.

"I for one, am staying to help. Even if I don't know anyone from Narnia, properly. I would prefer if they weren't ruled by a frosty little snow face, who is aparently the Queen of Narnia" I stated, standing up angrily.

"It's out of our hands" Peter said to both Lucy and I.

"Peter! For all we know, everyone in Narnia could be killed if we leave!" I shouted.

A flash of recognition was seen on Peters face before it dissappeared.

"Then we'll take that risk" He said before turning to Mr and Mrs. Beaver. I gasped at his reply and folded my arms in front of myself. "I'm sorry, but It's time the five of us were getting home. Ed?" But Edmund was gone. "Ed?" We looked over to the door. "I'm gonna kill him"

"You may not have to" Mr. Beaver said. "Has Edmund ever been to Narnia before?"