Chap 11

"They were helping Tumnus. The Witch got here before I did" Mr. Fox explained. He suddenly let out a groan.

"Are you alright?" Lucy asked as Mr. Fox groaned again.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite. Ow!"

"Oh, stop squirming. You're worse than Beaver on bath day"

"Worst day of the year" Mr. Beaver said as us girls let out small breathy laughs.

"Thank you for your kindness, but I'm afraid that's all the cure I have time for" Mr. Fox said, standing up.

"You're leaving?" Lucy asked.

"It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops"

The Beavers gasped.

"You've seen Aslan?" Said Mrs. Beaver.

"What's he like?" Mr. Beaver asked.

"Like everything we've ever heard. You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the Witch"

"But we're not planning on fighting any witch" Susan corrected.

"But surely, King Peter, the prophecy!"

"We can't go to war without you" Mr. Beaver said.

"We just want our brother back" Peter said after silence.

"And to get him back, we need to fight the White Witch!" I pestered.

Peter sighed sadly before resting his head apon my shoulder.

~

Peter and I rested our backs against the logs as everyone else slept. The warmth of the fire acting as a blanket. I had been fidgeting with Peters hand for, maybe, an hour. His head was, once again, on my shoulder. Lucy slept with Susan, almost like a cacoon.  Where as Mrs and Mr. Beaver cuddled against each other. We had been sat like this for two hours as the blistering cold whipped across us.

"... Do you think that we'll get Edmund back before the war starts?" I asked, hoping that Peter would give me a reassuring answer.

"If I'm being honest with you, I don't think we will. I hope we will, but I don't think we will" He admitted, sighing sadly.

"How long until this is all over?" Peter asked, holding my hand to stop me from fidgeting.

"I don't know...... I really don't know"

And that was it, the only conversation we had made in those two hours. The only part that helped, was when we went to sleep. The comfort of having Peters arms around me as we slept and the fire to capture the moment. Maybe it was the heat, but I could swear that Peters cheeks had turned a light pink too.