➵ Damien Haas - Victorian Era AU

(Y/N) - Your name
(Y/LN) - Your last name
(Y/EC) - Your eye colour

•Reader: Female
•Warnings: A swear word or two
•Word Count: 3531

In Victorian England, it was dangerous for anyone to be out at night. Dense fog clouded the streets and stayed low until late morning, it would confuse travellers, and even those familiar with the city streets could wind up confused.
Most decided to travel in packs; groups of ladies would live together in small flats and work together to keep safe whilst travelling back and forth. Crowds of gentlemen would pick bars and taverns closer to home to avoid pickpockets hiding in the shadows. The streetlights were not enough to see perfectly; anything could be anywhere.

Y/N Y/LN quietly slipped out of one of the rowdier taverns in her part of London, pulling her shawl tightly around her shoulders. She wasn't stupid, nor did she think she was braver than she was; she was just smart. Y/N new the exact route she would have to take home that would give her the most light possible as well as cover from thieves.

As her heeled feet pattered softly down the pavement she cursed herself for taking up the pub owner's offer on a longer shift. True, she was earning more money now, but this was the third day in a row that the fog was thicker than her liking. She held her hand out in front of her face and struggled to see her fingers. She had been walking for only about ten minutes and her sharp sense of direction was fading rapidly.

Leaning against the wall she sighed deeply, she was afraid that if she continued on for any longer she would become even more lost than she probably was now. She kicked a rock absentmindedly as she buried her face in her hands and pondered what to do. She really didn't want to walk home, unable to see the street properly. She didn't want to stay where she was exposed to the ever decreasing temperature.
Y/N was, as she would put it; fucked.

Once she looked up from her hands, she was surprised by the sight that met her eyes. A glowing figure was faintly protruding from the fog. Her breath hitched in her throat as she pressed herself as close to the wall as she could. Today was not going to be the day that she was ambushed by drunks. She refused.

"Excuse me, is anyone there?" A man with a strange sounding accent called out. "I heard a rock get kicked from the pavement and was wondering if anybody was in need of assistance? It's just that the fog is really thick and I hate for someone to get stuck out here at night."

She thought about this mystery person's offer, would it be foolish to accept his help? Or would it be even more foolish to ignore it? Y/N didn't have many options here. She could trust the strange man or keep quiet and pray that she could survive the cold. In all honestly, she'd rather risk her chances with the polite stranger.

"Yes, um, hello? I'm over here." She called back out into the swirling clouds of grey. And slowly but surely a tall man with broad shoulders and a long coat walked carefully up onto the pavement so that they could see each other properly. He wore a tall hat and deep green clothes, he didn't look rich but he did look like a fairly respectable gentleman. Their eyes met and Y/N was relieved to see that rather than malice, the man's hazel eyes were full to the brim with concern. Hopefully, she hadn't made a mistake by reaching out to him.

"Good evening Miss, did you need accompanying home? I figured you need a little more light than what little is being offered already." The man spoke again. It took a second but she finally realised that this was not just any stranger, his occupation was helping those trapped in the confusing London streets; he was a Glymjack.

Y/N had always been suspicious of Glymjacks, their job seemed too ideal to be true; guiding people home to keep them safe from the dark and what may be in it, not to mention how easy it was to feign the position of one to lead innocent bystanders to an unpleasant fate. But this tall brunette appeared to be the real deal, and boy was she glad.