➵ Newt - I'll Always Be Here (Part 1)

Reader: Female
Warnings: swearing plus classic maze runner stuff, but I don't think there's anything triggering at all in this chapter
Word Count: 2595

Also I don't know if I want to base the storyline off of the books or movies so will probably do a mix. Also I already know how this is going to end bc I am constantly living in denial of newt's death (that shouldn't be a spoiler) so there will be a happy ending ofc
This might be written really badly, only because I've had this idea in my head for literally years and never bothered to write it down until now, but I trust my writing skill enough for it to be adequate.

Y/N's POV
The first thing I noticed as I woke up was that my ears were ringing. The room I was in was so loud. It was shaking. But why was it shaking?
The second thing I noticed was that there were no actual walls to the room, but rather just a thick mesh of metal separating me from the-
Okay. The third thing I noticed was that this room was hurtling upwards, and beneath my feet was a very visible bottomless pit.

"What the fuck?"

My head was spinning and I felt like I was going to throw up. My legs quickly buckled and I crumpled towards the floor. My hands grabbed onto whatever they could find.

I couldn't remember anything, I didn't know where I was, I didn't know who I was and I was pretty sure that this... elevator? I was in was bringing me towards my imminent demise. The crates inside the small room only increased my confusion.
I brought my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around my shins and burying my face down into my legs, praying that all the rattling and shaking and cranking would stop before I passed out.

I couldn't tell how long it was until the room stopped moving, but as soon as it did the ceiling above me started to open. I peered up towards it and saw a bunch of silhouettes looming down over me.
My ears were still ringing and my head still pounding. I knew that the figures above me were speaking but I couldn't zone into what they were saying exactly.

As my eyes were adjusting to the light, I watched as one of the people jumped down into the elevator and step towards me. I tensed up, glaring at them in the eyes.

I expected to see a figure of authority, perhaps a middle aged woman with a cold glare, or a muscular man trying to grab me. What I didn't expect was a boy about my age, with sandy blonde hair and a curious grin stretching his hand out to me.

What on earth was going on?

I clenched my jaw and slowly stood up, never breaking eye contact with the boy in front of me. I didn't want him to know how scared I was, and I didn't want him to think that I trusted him, because I didn't.

"Looks like you shanks were correct, it's a girl."

What did he mean 'it's a girl?', did I really look that strange. What did I even look like...

"I know you're confused okay, but the first thing you need to do is get out of the box so that we can get our supplies. I'll help you out if you're finding it hard to move." He smiled kindly -I wasn't buying it.

"Don't touch me." I snarled, surprising myself with my own animosity.

He raised his eyebrows and chuckled, lifting both his hands in surrender.

"As you command."

He then walked over to the side and hauled himself out. I copied his actions, secretly glad to be free of whatever hell I had just experienced.
Once I was out, I pushed myself off of the grass and stood up, immediately taking a few steps back. The loud chatter started up again, and I was unable to pick up most of what was said.
I had heard enough though.