➵ Richie Tozier - After

Reader: Female
Warnings: SPOILERS!! Talk of death, generally a bit sad
Word count: 775

Y/N sat next to the mourning Richie Tozier. Though the woman had never seen him more heartbroken in his life, he had still attempted to crack a few jokes.
But now he was quiet, the only words he had spoken to her was when he asked her to stay the night. She understood what he wanted, Y/N didn't think she could imagine what it would be like if she lost the love of her life.

If she lost Richie.

She didn't want to start the conversation, she didn't want to move. But eventually she would have to do something to console him.

"I remember the first time you told me you liked Eddie." I started gently, "As in, liked him. And you were confused because you also really liked looking at girls' boobs." I smiled softly.
A breath of air was released from Richie's nose, and I knew he remembered too.

"You said that you were so scared to catch feelings for someone of the opposite gender but also have feelings for girls sometimes. You didn't know what it meant. But I told you that it didn't matter, because you were still Richie and that's all that matters to the people who love you back."

The man nodded and sniffed. I rested my head on his shoulder and reached for his hand, which he intertwined with mine quickly, squeezing gently.

"I remember the day you left for college," he started, "And I rode my bike as fast as I could towards your house, because I had popped my car tires, and I got to you just in time. You were about to put the last box in your car. I was so out of breath, and sweaty, but you didn't hesitate to hug me as tightly as you always did- do. Because your hugs are the best."

It was my turn to nod along to his story, remembering that day well.

"We were both on the verge of tears. And then you told me you loved me. I thought I'd never feel that shattering pain again - losing someone you loved. I didn't tell you that I loved you back, there was no point. So I kissed you. And I hoped that would make up for it." Richie sniffed again, trying to keep back his tears. I let my own run down my cheeks, not caring about this sudden emotional moment we were sharing.

"I got to say goodbye to you last time. But Eddie... was just gone. I couldn't tell him how much I loved him. Him and his stupid little asthma inhaler, and the jokes about his mom. All of it. All that's left are the stupid initials I carved into that stupid bridge."

I wrapped my arms around him tightly and sighed as he relaxed against me.

"I wish it could've been me, Rich. I would've taken the blow if I had seen it coming. I'm so sorry."

Richie's head turned to look at me with a pained expression on his face.

"Don't apologise. This wasn't your fault. Or my fault. Or anyone's fault except from that fucking clown. Besides, I don't know what I'd do if I lost you either."

I smiled, "Probably confessing your undying love to your childhood crush."

"Which one?"

I sat up so that we looked at each other, eye to eye.

"What do you mean?"

"I loved you and Eddie so goddamn much in high school. No doubt in my mind about that. Sometimes I had trouble understanding what was romantic love, and what was platonic. I don't know if you could love two people romantically at the same time, but I think I did.
Eddie was my first love, and all those feelings came back when I arrived in Derry. But I think a part of you always stayed with me, and I'm glad you're still here now."

I let his words sink in. My lip curved up with happiness, glad that my feelings were not too ridiculous.

"I love you too, Richie. So please, get some rest. It's been a long day."

I stood up and smiled down at him, running my hand through his hair. He looked up at me with his soft brown eyes and nodded tiredly. I bent down and kissed his forehead before walking over to the opposite side of the bed.

We both laid next to each other in silence. We had said what we needed to say for tonight. Tomorrow, those words could be dealt with better. But tonight, we both just needed the company.