➵ Party Poison - Bulletproof Heart

(Y/N) - Your name
(Y/EC) - Your eye colour

• Reader: Gender not mentioned, but I've used my Killjoy name (Solemn Sunflower) however the killjoy's real name will be left up to the reader.
•Warnings: Guns, general violence, mention of blood, death?
•Word Count: 1686

Party's POV

I laughed at a joke Jet had made as we raced through Zone 6, not bothering to keep on the lookout for Crows. It had been a week since we had last run into them in this particular zone. I ran a hand through my hair as I looked over to Sunflower, their smile causing me to reciprocate the action. I took in all of their appearance, not being able to believe that somebody as attractive as them existed, let alone loved me as much as I loved them. Their Y/EC eyes sparkled in the afternoon sun, shining brighter than their happy smile. Their lips looked chapped but I didn't care, every inch of their face was perfect t no matter what the state. The sunflower tattoo on their neck was barely visible from the jacket they were wearing, but the bright flower only made the day better.
They turned to me and smiled, leaning into my chest as we both turned back to Jet as he drove the car and shouted about nothing. The sun beat down on us and I appreciated it. As lively as we currently were, I was as peace here.

I gently kissed Sunflower's head and watched the familiar pink blush dust their cheeks. I smirked knowing that after all the time we'd been together I still had the ability to get such an adorable reaction.

It was then that I saw Ghoul making a gagging face at our little moment. I kicked him harshly in the leg as I rolled my eyes playfully, resulting in a muffled "ow". Kobra turned around in his seat but immediately turned back as he scoffed at Ghoul's immature behaviour. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the reactions of my friends, I was still focussing too much on my favourite Killjoy who was dosing off on my shoulder.

___

We only stayed out in the sun for another half hour before returning to the diner, watching the sun melting into a red line on the horizon. However barren the land was, it never failed to astonish me how beautiful the world could really be.
As we sat down in our regular booth, Jet tuned into Dr Death Defy's channel as he picked up a couple of cans of power pup and some dusty sodas. One of my arms draped lazily around Sunflower's as they animatedly described a dream they had the previous night. Their eyes lit up as every detail of their wacky adventure unfolded, hands flew everywhere and their volume increased rapidly.

"And then just before they gave the glowing thing to me - I woke up!" They finished irritatedly before huffing jokingly and leaning back into my side.
Everyone at the table smiled amusedly as a more interesting subject topic was introduced. I zoned out for a while, choosing instead to look out the window. I wasn't hopeless, everything I needed was in this diner with me, as far as the apocalypse went, this wasn't that bad.
My arm hugged their waist as I pulled them closer towards me, still staring out of the window.

I felt a pair of soft lips grazing the skin on my neck and I closed my eyes from the feeling. Y/N kissed up and down my neck gently, sending shivers down my spine. Yes. This was all I really needed.

___

I woke up the following morning to a strangely empty bed. I could tell that Sunflower had slept beside me as usual but it was cold, meaning that they'd been up for a while. Groggily, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and pulled myself out of bed. I got dressed quickly into some clothes that weren't quite filthy and ambled to the main section of the diner. From there, I could see Jet and Kobra drinking quietly in a booth. Ghoul and Sunflower were sat on top of the car's bonnet and were deep in conversation. They were both laughing and shouting, with the occasional insult being thrown at the other but they looked like they were having a good time.