Chapter 16

“Beau! I’m home and Bella’s here” Luke’s voice echoed through the house. The familiar aroma once again flowed through my nostrils; it wasn’t your normal house smell or the sweet smell of vanilla, it was different.

Luke dumped the basket on the table beside the front door and sat himself down on the couch in the living room. I followed him, sat down in the arm chair and glanced over towards the TV. Luke had already turned it on and was browsing through a variety of channels unable to choose one.

Beau’s non-existent response to Luke when we came in made me reconsider why I agreed to come here. I only really came to see if I can talk to Beau but I couldn’t just get up and leave now. Maybe he’s just out on a deal or maybe he heard us but just didn’t respond.

“What did you wanna watch?” Luke snapped me out of my daydreaming. I had been so out of it that I didn’t notice he was kneeling in front of the DVD cabinet.

“Anything really, doesn’t bother me” I replied. I didn’t particularly want to watch a movie but I need to pass time.

He held up ‘The Conjuring’ in one hand and ‘Sinister’ in the other. “Which one?” he laughed.

“Can we not watch a scary movie again?” I laughed back, emphasising the ‘not’. I sure didn’t want a repeat of last time.

“Alright, we can just watch…uhhh, how about Abduction?” he asked holding up one of my favourite movies. I nodded and he put the DVD into the DVD player. Taylor Lautner had always been one of my weaknesses. Within minutes the movie had started and so had Luke’s rambling about how hot Lily Collins is and my arguments back about how Taylor is much hotter.

“But just look at her body! I’d bang her any day” he exclaimed motioning his hand towards the moving picture.

“Mm, whatever. You can think that but I know Taylor is hotter” I mumbled back steering my attention back to the movie.

Not a word was said after that. I would glance over every now and then only to see the same face I seen the day I hit my head on the tap in the boys bathrooms.  A smirk would appear every time Lily showed up on the screen; only god knows what he would be thinking.

The slamming of car doors, footsteps up the driveway and the laughter of teenage boys drowned out the sound of movie. “Oh my god, you should’ve seen her face when you took her fries” an unfamiliar voice laughed as the front door opened and four boys walked into the house.

I was pleased to see Beau’s face amongst the group. The same group that laughed at me when I walked through the school during the week.

“Oi, I thought you said no interruptions” I whispered to Luke who had creases forming on his forehead. He huffed out a ‘yeah’ before sighing.

“Beau, what are you doing here? Didn’t we agree you were gonna stay out until I texted you saying Bella was gone” Luke barked at him. The laughter died down and faces of the boys dropped. I was shocked at what he said though. When he said no interruptions, he really meant it.

“I didn’t know you two were coming back here, sorry bro. But anyways this is my house too so we aren’t leaving” Beau apologised.

Luke rolled his eyes at his attempt to apologise. Beau picked up the basket off the table and walked past us into the kitchen while the rest of the boys made themselves comfortable on the remainder of the couches and on the floor.

“I’m just gonna go get myself a drink, I’ll be right back” I patted Luke’s leg and excused myself out of the room. It was now or never. As soon as I left the room I heard the boys congratulating Luke and giving him shit for being here with me. I wonder if he’s planning on telling them that we are just friends and that nothing’s happening, but I doubt he would. He is a teenage boy after all.

“Hey” I greeted Beau.

“Oh hey” he said while pulling the plates out of the basket and into the sink. I walked over to the cupboard and pulled out a plastic orange cup.

“Do you mind if I just get to the sink?” I asked while he moved aside allowing me to fill the cup with water. I took a sip, placed the cup on the bench and turned to face him. “Can I ask you something?” I spoke faster than lightning.

He raised himself up on his tippy toes and placed the basket towards the back of the Washington branded fridge. “Yeah, what’s up?”

“Well I was thinking” I picked the cup back up curling my fingers around the bottom half of it, “you know how I’m an experimental teenager and all, do you think I could try weed?” I asked in a girly tone, positive that he would say yes.

He grabbed the blanket off the bench and chucked it onto the table. “Hmm I don’t know Bella; I don’t think Luke would-”

“Luke would what?” the one person I didn’t want to hear this conversation stood cross armed leaning against the entrance frame with a smirk on his face.

“Ehh go on another date with Bella” Beau panicked and created the worst lie. “She was asking me if I reckon you would agree and if you’d prefer to go to a beach or go bowling” he continued on looking around the room trying to make it less awkward.

Why in the world would he use that excuse out of every other thing you could possibly imagine? Oh wait maybe because he reckons that his brother likes me. What a sly little shit. The last thing I want to do right now is agree on another date which could possibly recount today’s actions.

“Of course I’d want to go out with you again and I don’t mind where we go as long as it’s with you” the biggest grin grew from ear to ear as he agreed to something I didn’t ask. I just don’t even have the heart to tell him that it wasn’t me. “Now let’s go back out there. The movie ended so the boys are putting 21 Jump Street on and we might order takeaway soon.” He slung his arm around my shoulder in attempt to direct me out of the kitchen.

I didn’t move. “Um, I should be going. I text you later for dets” I forced a smile pointing towards the front of the house. There was no way I was going to be able to finish the conversation off with Beau and there was no way I’m staying in a place filled with boys who don’t even like me.

“I can drive you home” Beau offered causing a glare from Luke to raise the tension in the room.

“No, I can take you home instead” Luke also offered.

I released myself from Luke’s grip, “I think I’ll just walk myself home. Thanks for the offers though” I excused myself and walked through the kitchen and back through the living room.

A bunch of immature remarks were said as I manoeuvred myself past the three boys spanned across the brown carpet. ‘I wonder if that poor chick knows what she has gotten herself into’ was the last thing I heard before I closed the door behind me and began my walk home.