15: Luna

The days pass way too quickly and my summer holiday ends just like that. I have to go back to school again. It's my senior year of high school, but my friends have all graduated and are attending college in different parts of the world. At least Aurora will be here with me, as well as Lee Yoora, the music teacher who let me stay after school to sing during the times I struggled.

I slump back against the chair of my sister's car and sigh as I stare out the window at my school. Students are rejoiced to see their friends as they huddle together and enter the building with smiles on their faces.

"You'll be okay, Luna." My sister says and I sigh again. "I have to drive Rae-na to school too and I have to go to work afterwards, so you better go now."

"I don't want to be late," Rae-na whines as she kicks her legs at the back of my chair.

How can she be so willing to go back to school? I guess it's not that surprising, as I remember being a child like her, I was overjoyed to be at school and be with my friends. I lived such a normal, blissful, carefree life as a child.

"Can I just go to work with you?" I ask my older sister, even though I'm certain of her answer.

"No," she replies simply. "You have to go to school."

I groan and she holds onto my hand on my lap as she asks gently, "Why don't you want to go?"

"You know why," I say. "I have no friends there. Besides... you've been a high schooler before and you know there are lots of rumours in high school. I bet they already know all about dad. Without Nari or Jang-mi here, how can I survive the rumours on my own?"

"Of course you can, I know you're strong enough. And didn't you say your friend, Aurora, will be here too? And, you can always make new friends." Mina says to me and pats my hand.

"Yeah, I suppose so," I say and at that moment I see Taehyung's car come into view and it stops by the school.

The door opens and Aurora steps outside along with Taehyung. I stare at them in confusion. When did they become so close with each other? Why would Taehyung drive Aurora to school, doesn't he have to go to the cafe and work?

"Luna?" Rae-na says and I turn my head to look back at her. "Remember that one time when I didn't want to go to school, because my classmate was being mean to me, you said to just ignore him? So I did, and he doesn't bother me anymore. I know you can do that too."

I nod and ruffle her hair gently. She giggles and I smile back at her.

I open the car door and step outside and say to my sister, "I'll go now then, bye."

"Be safe, I'll see you back at home," Mina says and I nod.

"Bye-bye!" Rae-na says and smiles brightly at me as she waves at me cheerfully.

I walk towards Aurora and Taehyung as my sister drives away.

"Hey," I say once I reach them.

Aurora is startled by my approach as she jumps slightly. Taehyung blushes and waves at me.

I look at them with eyebrows raised, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's good," Aurora says instantly.

"Are you sure?" I ask and Aurora nods her head enthusiastically.

Taehyung then says, "I um... I have to go. If you guys want, I can pick you up from school."

"It's okay. My sister is going to pick me up," Aurora says.

Taehyung looks at me, so I say to him, "I have to pick my younger sister up from her school."