Search Party

"I'm driving."

I snatch the keys out of my brother's hand. He scoffs as we walk towards the jeep. "What makes you I'd let you drive?"

"You don't have a choice McCall." I laugh as I get into the driver's seat. "Besides, I'm a better driver than you are."

Scott rolls his eyes but hops in anyway. "You wish."

I place the keys in the ignition before turning them. The jeep rumbles as it starts. I put the Jeep in reverse. As I push the gas, I turn and look out the back window. The sight of a girl makes me slam on breaks. Scott turns to see why I slammed on brakes.

"Lori?" I ask confused. What is she doing here? Scott and I both get out of the jeep. I walk towards her. She was holding a broken and bloody lacrosse stick.

"I found this." Lori held up the stick. "It's Brett's, and he's missing, and I heard gunshots."

"How do you know this is his blood?" Scott asks.

"Because he's my brother. It's mine, too." She answers.

We meet up with Liam and Malia in the forest. If he was attacked in the school parking lot, it'd make sense to run and hide in the forest. Also, we were all able to track his scent here. The three of us run after Liam as he takes off into the forest. Liam runs up to a tree. I look to see a bloody arrow sticking into the tree. I sniff the air around us. It's Brett's scent.

"Here. I think he set a trap." Liam says.

"He's fighting back." I speak up.

"And now we know he's alive." Malia says.

Lori pulls the arrow out of the tree. "But he's still hurt. We need to find him, he needs to know we're here."

I clamp my hand over Lori's mouth before she can howl. I take it off after a second. "Do you want the hunter that we're here, too?"

"He's new. We can take him." Scott said.

"What if Brett howls back? He'll lead the hunter right to him." Malia says agreeing with me.

"Like it or not, Brett is alone and injured. That makes him weak and easier for them to hunt. We need to be smart." I explain.

Scott shook his head. "No, we could find him first. There's no human that can track sounds faster than we can. And we've got the advantage, we've done this before. We know what we're doing, guys."

"Then how come none of us can can't catch his scent?" I ask.

"He's masking it." Lori answers.

"Can someone tell him not to?" Malia says.

"He went this way." Liam yells taking off even further into the forest. Lori runs off after him.

"His trap didn't work." Scott tells us.

"Maybe this hunter isn't as amateur as we thought." I suggest.

"Or maybe he's learning." Malia suggests.

The three of us follow after Liam and Lori. We follow them to another small clearing in the forest. I look around to see nothing. This is an endless chase.

"The trail's gone." Malia spoke up.

"Uh, maybe he just stopped bleeding." Scott suggested.

"God, I think we should split up." Liam said. "Lori and I go this way, you guys go that way."

"Or maybe we go in five directions?" Lori said.

"We need to stick together." I said.

"We have the advantage, it's four against one." Liam said.