Defense system

Adelaide was able to wipe away her tears and collect her thoughts. The girls returned back to class and Adelaide avoided all eye contact with everyone. She sat down in Maths class, in between Alaya and Kellie. She wasn't going to let Lachlan ruin her day but she hated how everyone was so involved in the drama. Within 30 minutes everyone had already made up assumptions as to why Adelaide and Lachlan fought, if only they knew. Eventually everyone would stop obsessing over the ordeal and stop looking at them, but Brodie couldn't seem to take his eyes off her.

He was almost startled by how well she was doing, but more impressed by the brave face she had put on. He thought about the bruises on her wrist. He didn't know why he cared so much but he was angered by the thought of Adelaide being hurt. Every now and again he would catch himself thinking about her, maybe it was because he felt bad? Maybe it was because he wondered why a girl in his class was named after a state in Australia? Or maybe it was because he wanted to get to know her?

The day was over relatively quickly and Adelaide couldn't have been more relieved. "What a crazy first day" she thought, rubbing her wrist trying to ease the pain. She walked down the hall to her locker and saw Alaya leaning against the wall with Mr Harris standing over her. They were talking and laughing .
"And it's about to get even crazier!"

Usually Adelaide was in charge of keeping Alaya away from Mr Harris. Lord knows what would happen if those two ever ended up alone together. It sounds dramatic but Alaya really did need to be kept away from him, not because she would make a move but, him? Well that's a whole other story. You would think that a teacher wouldn't get involved with a student, but boy oh boy Mr Harris sure did. He was always flirting with Alaya, and Alaya didn't deny that she found him attractive even though he was in his mid 20s. 

As Adelaide got closer and closer she could her them laughing.
"Do I need to go to my locker?" she paused, trying to think of any excuse not to walk up there and make it awkward for everyone. Mr Harris placed one hand on Alaya's arm, and took her books in his other hand. He put the books in her open locker which was beside them and placed his free hand on the wall, now leaning into it. Alaya was trapped in a corner. He smirked at her as his hand moved down to hold hers.
"Ok it's getting weird now"

Adelaide sprinted up to her locker and Mr Harris immediately backed away. Alaya gave Adelaide "the look" but Adelaide didn't care, Mr Harris looked like he was close enough to almost kiss Alaya! She wasn't going to let that happen.
"See you tomorrow Alaya" Mr Harris whispered.
Alaya watched as he walked down the hall  then turned to Adelaide.
"Hey! Why'd you do that?" she said annoyed.
"I'm not about to let him kiss you thank you very much" Adelaide said rolling her eyes.
"But.... but!?"
"Nope, no, nada, zilch" Adelaide blurted, ending the conversation.

"Where's Kellie gone?" Adelaide asked.
"Home, she saw Mr Harris and bolted" Alaya said laughing. Adelaide had gotten everything from her locker and was about to shut it.
"Hey look it's Brodie!" Alaya called out way to loudly. Adelaide put her head down and pretended to search through her bag for books. Brodie saw she was busy, and kept walking until he exited out of the back door. Adelaide sighed with relief and shut her locker.
"What was that for?" Alaya questioned.
"What do you mean?"
"Why'd you ignore Brodie? It looked like he wanted to talk to you." She questioned.
"Well, it's kind of awkward, I feel bad that he had to get involved in the whole fiasco this morning" Adelaide sighed.
Alaya gave her "the look" again.
Adelaide rolled her eyes.
"Shit, fine I'll go talk to him!" she declared as she ran out the door after him.