I need you

Adelaide closed her eyes, trying not to cry. Oscar was right, he was going back and Brodie had told him before her. She shook her head in disbelief then looked at Brodie who stood infront of her waiting for her to say something. Instead, Adelaide turned away from him, walking further down the hall to her next class. She didn't know how to feel, she couldn't seem to process the fact that he was leaving, "for good." Brodie cursed himself under his breath, turning towards the group of lockers that stood against the wall.
"Why didn't I tell her before" he thought. He kicked the bottom locker with all the force he had, he was so angry at himself. He'd have to talk to her later and try to explain.

When Adelaide got to the classroom, she was ten minutes late.
"Adelaide nice of you to finally join us!" Mr Fabian said. She took a seat beside Kellie quickly and took out her books.
"What's wrong?" Kellie asked, seeing that there was something up.
"Brodie's going back to Australia!" She blurted out. Kellie's mouth fell open.
"What!?" She questioned, stunned. She hadn't known either. Just then Brodie walked into the class.
"Sorry I'm late sir." He told Mr Fabian.
"Where were you?" He stopped him just as he was about to sit down.
"Talking to my previous teacher" he said calmly. Mr Fabian nodded letting him sit down, beside Adelaide. Kellie looked at Brodie then gestured to Adelaide. He realized now that she also knew, but his priority was Adelaide.
"Can we talk after school?" He asked her. Adelaide nodded her head.

After school, Adelaide and Brodie walked in silence to his house. Neither knew what to say to the other. Brodie opened the front door slowly and let Adelaide go in first. She walked down the hall into the kitchen and rested against the counter top. Brodie walked in and set his keys down on the table. Silence filled the room.
"Brodie..."
"I'm moving back to Australia, with my family." He announced.
Adelaide's eyes stung, she tried to hold it together by taking deep breaths. It wasn't working.
"I found out from Oscar." She said sternly, implying that she was annoyed he hadn't told her first.
"I'm sorry, I should've told you."
"I thought you were moving here for good?" Her lips quivered as she spoke, she felt defeated.
"My mum, is sick." He hesitated. "My dad wants to go back so we can spend time with her family- mainly her mum at home." Adelaide saw the anguish on his face.
"How do you feel about it?" She quizzed.
"I don't want to leave Adelaide." He replied, a tear streaming down his face. She pulled him into a tight hug, letting him rest his head on her shoulder. When they pulled away, Adelaide asked the question she had been afraid to ask.
"When are you leaving?" She was devastated, trying everything in her power not to burst into tears.

Brodie pulled out a chair and sat down at the table putting his head in his hands.
"When?" She requested, becoming terrified of the response.
"Adelaide, I'm so sorry-"
Oh god. Why wasn't he telling her when? How long had he known he was moving back? How long had he kept it from her? Her pity turned to rage.
"A month!?" She asked furious. Brodie remained silent.
"Three weeks!?" She yelled. Still, Brodie didn't answer her. Adelaide laughed at the absurdity of the situation.
"Brodie!" She snapped. Brodie still couldn't bring himself to look at her.
"Two weeks?" She cried out, letting the tears spill out of her eyes, slipping down her cheeks.
"A week and a half!" Brodie yelled, slamming his fist against the table and standing up, pushing past her towards the window above the sink. Adelaide stood still, fixated on the picture hanging above the kitchen table. She couldn't speak or move. Some time had passed before Brodie finally spoke again.

"Adelaide please, say something!"
"You waited until the last week to tell your "girlfriend" that you were moving half way across the world." She said with such composure. She almost sounded like she didn't care. Brodie walked towards her.
"I wanted to tell you."
"No you didn't, your a coward" she snapped, looking directly at him.
"How long have you even known? How long has Oscar known!?"
"Oscar hasn't known long" he tried to justify.
"How long have you known Brodie!" Adelaide was running out of patience.
"A couple of months." Adelaide sat back onto the chair, resting her head in her hands. She was distraught. Brodie bent down beside her, trying to get her to look at him.
"Did you know when you asked me to be your girlfriend?" She asked through her hands.
"No, I didn't know." He said placing on hand on her back.