Changes

The next few weeks passed by in a flash, Brodie had begun to settle into school more and him and Oscar had become close. Adelaide had called over to Oscar's house the day after he called Alaya desperate. She was mad at him but also understood that he was just worried about her. They talked it over and went over to Alaya's house to apologize. It was all sorted but Alaya wasn't as open about Mr Harris as she used to be. She just seemed more reserved and less of her outrageous self. It concerned Adelaide but she couldn't do anything about it. Kellie was unbeknownst to it all but noticed Alaya's drop in energy. In geography class, Ms Murphy announced that the entire class would be going on a week long trip to the mountains to go skiing! Oscar questioned Ms Murphy as to why they were going on a ski trip if it didn't have anything to do with geography. Ms.Murphy couldn't fully answer the question but no one was complaining, they all got to miss class. The girls were excited to go on the ski trip, their accommodation was a cozy log cabin in the snowy mountains, that meant a cute and calm few days away from all the madness. They began to plan out their trip even though it was two weeks away.

Brodie and Adelaide had gotten each other's phone numbers and we're texting almost every day after school, getting to know each other. It felt like Brodie had really become apart of their group. Adelaide often met him in Cafe Sol after school. They had even gone on walks in the park over the long weekends, Brodie had packed picnics for them and they would just spend time sitting there in each other's company. The two could talk for hours on end without getting board. Adelaide had opened up to Brodie about Alaya and Mr Harris, and the fight Alaya and Oscar had all those weeks ago. She also confided in him about keeping secrets from Kellie which she had felt terrible about. He was really supportive, reassuring her that she couldn't do anymore then what she was already doing. However, over the past month and a half, Adelaide had quickly learnt that once Brodie was in a bad mood, nothing seemed to cheer him up.

On Friday, they were working on their science project and Brodie still couldn't swap partners. He was working with Lachlan for what seemed like the foreseeable future. Adelaide wasn't sure what had happened but during class Brodie got up, left the room and didn't come back. He was miserable for the rest of the day no matter how much they all tried to cheer him up. It was a flaw that frustrated Adelaide but she also thought about Brodie a lot, she didn't particularly want to admit it to herself but she was really starting to like him.

The bell rang, instantly waking up all the sleepy students. The next class was maths. In the last week their teacher had left on maternity leave and Mr Harris had been subbing their classes. He was never able to take his eyes off of Alaya, but she never looked up from her work. Adelaide thought it was just her attempt at making sure Kellie didn't think she still liked him.
"Did Ms Murphy tell you guys about the ski trip your going on?" Mr Harris asked.
"Yes" the whole class answered in synchronization.
"I'll be going on that trip with you"

No. Oh god. Please no. Alaya looked up from her copy that she had been doodling in and locked eyes with Mr Harris, before turning to the girls and smiling. Kellie rolled her eyes but Adelaide couldn't help but smile. It was the first time in weeks she had seen the old Alaya back. All smiley at the thought of Mr Harris going on a school trip with them.
"Oh my god, we need to discuss this after school" she squealed.
"You can discuss it without me" Kellie jokingly retaliated.

Adelaide nodded, at least Alaya wanted to talk about him with her. Oscar and Brodie both turned around and looked at the three girls. Brodie gave Adelaide a awkward side smile. It was like he was trying to say "oh no for us but Alaya must be happy." Adelaide giggled at his goofy reaction. Oscar however saw Kellie's disapproved face and related. He didn't want Mr Harris on the trip either. Class came to an end and Alaya was the last one out of the classroom.

"Alaya can you stay back?" Adelaide heard Mr Harris asking.
Adelaide went back into the room, both of them looking at her confused.
"Oh, I'm just waiting for Alaya" Adelaide said in a sassy manner, directed at Mr.Harris.
"I need to speak to her in private" he responded, standing up and shutting the door infront of her face. Adelaide wanted to cry.
"What an asshole." She thought. I can't leave Alaya in there." Oscar took Adelaide by the hand, pulling her to the side.
"What happened?" He quizzed.
"He shut the door in my face, she's in there!! ....... We're in school for god sake!"
Brodie was walking with Kellie ahead while Oscar and Adelaide stood near the classroom door helplessly.