New beginnings

1 year later:

Adelaide's phone buzzed on her bedside cabinet and crashed to the floor, waking her up. She jolted up and grabbed it, knowing full well it was a FaceTime call from Brodie.
"Good morning!" She exclaimed happily, adjusting her hair to hide her morning face.
"Good evening!" Brodie responded in an equally happy tone.
"Sorry did I wake you?"
"Can't you tell from my dark circles and messy hair?" She jokingly asked. He laughed.
Ever since Brodie left, they made a conscious effort to make sure they stayed in touch. The time zone difference was, at first, difficult to get used to. They missed calls from each other and after certain times they wouldn't respond to text messages but for the most part they still got to speak to each other and stayed just as close.
"So today is the big day?" He looked confused and worried all at once.
"Yep, Mr Harris wants all of us to meet in the park at 12 and I still have no idea why! None of us do! I can't even ask Alaya because it's a surprise 'for her.'"
"Well, I wish I could be there." He said.
"Me too, I'll call you straight after to let you know what's going on."
"I'll be asleep!"
"Shit yeh. Ok I'll text you." He grinned. They hung up the phone and Adelaide got ready.

The doorbell rang and she sprinted down the stairs in her white floral dress that wrapped around her waist and flounced out into layers at the end. She opened the door to Oscar. He leaned against the door frame with his arms folded, looking right at her.
"Hey Babe" he said with a cheeky smile.
"Hello" she replied happily, leaning in for a kiss. He placed his hand around the back of her neck and pulled her into him, feeling her smile during their kiss.

A few months after Brodie moved back to Australia, Adelaide quickly realized that maybe she did like Oscar. Maybe he had been the person she wanted and she just never saw it. Brodie encouraged their relationship, all he ever wanted was for her to be happy, and she was.
"Right we have to leave now." Oscar notified. Adelaide grabbed her purse and keys, leaving the house to head to the park.

The sun was shining brightly and sat high up in the sky. No clouds could be seen, it was just an endless blue sky. The colors of the spring flowers were vivid and illuminating. It was truly a beautiful day.
Adelaide and Oscar met Josh and Kellie on the way to the park and speculated what this strange "meeting" was about, and why Mr Harris had called it. Josh and Kellie were in their first year of art college and were extremely talented. Josh was studying cinematography while Kellie was studying fashion design. As a couple, they were still going strong. Kellie and Alaya were also much closer than they were the previous year, brushing all the drama to one side.

They reached the park and walked through the gold gates. Mr Harris was waiting just beside a bench a couple of meters away from them. He awkwardly paced back and forth until they reached him.
"What's going on?" Oscar interrogated.
"Hey guys!" He yelled rather enthusiastically.
"Woah, ok your nervous about something" Josh stated.
"Where's Alaya?" Adelaide questioned.
"Not here yet, guys I need you to stand here." He pointed towards a spot beside the bench and the group huddled together waiting to see what was going on. Mr Harris had dressed up nicely. He wore a white shirt with a navy tie and navy suit trousers. His shoes were brown, and his black hair was groomed neatly. He had also shaved. Oscar leaned in to whisper to Adelaide.
"Whatever he's doing, it's going to be big!"
"What do you mea-" Adelaide was cut off when they saw Alaya walking through the park in a black skater dress and a denim jacket.
She slowly walked over, suspiciously looking at the gang who could only help but smile.
"Alaya- your here" Mr Harris started.
"Yes Dylan, I am" she laughed and gave him a quick kiss.
"Why is everyone else here?" She asked looking around. They all shrugged their shoulders.
"Alaya, you look beautiful."
"I know" she joked.
"May I have your hand" he asked politely.
"What? Why?" She looked utterly confused.
Kellie nudged Adelaide in the side, her mouth wide open. It still hadn't clicked with Adelaide yet.
"Please?"
"Your acting so strange, what the hell!" She started getting annoyed.
"Take my hand" He pleaded.
"Why?"
"I'm trying to ask you to MARRY ME, so take my damn hand! " he blurted out.

Her mouth feel open in total disbelief. Collective gasps could be heard from Adelaide, Oscar and Josh.
"DYLAN" Alaya screeched, her smile was as bright as the sun. She gave him her hand.
"Alaya, we've been through a hell of a lot in the last year and a half. You mean the world to me, you make me happy when I'm sad, you make me laugh when I feel like my entire world is crashing down and you love me for who I am. I want you to know that I love you for everything you are too. And yes we are young but I don't want to waste another second with you as just my girlfriend. So Alaya..." he shuffled down onto one knee.
"Will you marry me?"
"YES!" She screamed, flinging her arms around him and pulling him into her. Adelaide and Kellie both teared up and grinned at each other from ear to ear. They clapped for the happy couple.
Dylan slid the ring onto her finger and it glistened under the suns rays.

Alaya turned around to face her friends.
"YOUR GETTING MARRIED!!" Adelaide yelled, throwing herself at Alaya and embracing her in a tight hug. They all gave Alaya a hug.
Adelaide stood away from the gang and looked at Dylan.
"Congratulations" she said. He smiled and glanced over at Alaya.
"I promised you I would never hurt her" he grinned. Adelaide had flashbacks to the ski trip, she laughed.
"That doesn't mean your safe, I still have that bag handy!" He threw his head back in a fit of laughter. They were all happy for them.

Adelaide held Oscar's arm and rested her head on his shoulder as they all walked down through the park to a small area that was set up with balloons and food.
"Well have to call Brodie and let him know!" He said happily.
"Yeh I'll text him, he's probably asleep though."
"You may aswell just call him then" he laughed.
Adelaide FaceTimed Brodie, desperately hoping he would pick up to hear the news. Within a few seconds he picked up, the group all squeezed around Adelaide to see him.
"IM ENGAGED!" Alaya yelled down the phone. Brodie's face lit up, he looked at her in shock and then he laughed.
"That's incredible, Congratulations! I'll have to come back for the big day!"
Adelaide smirked, it would be great to have their friend back.
"It's 3am though, I better go!"
"Oh of course, go asleep!" Adelaide took back the phone.
"Talk to you all tomorrow!" He hung up.

The group spent their day in the park, mostly talking about the future and the wedding! By the end of it Alaya already knew what she wanted her bridesmaids to wear and what flavor cake she wanted- red velvet. They eventually said their goodbyes and Oscar walked Adelaide home as the sun began to set and the sky turned pink. They were crossing over a bridge that was situated over a lake. Oscar stopped Adelaide, grabbing her by the waist and pulling her into him, hugging her tightly.
"What's this for?" She asked, innocently looking up at him.
"I just wanted to hold you." They stared down at the lake, pointing out the perfection and beauty of how the water reflected the sunset.
"You stole my heart, you know" Oscar said in a serious tone. Adelaide smiled.
"Did I now?"
"Yeh, but I'll let you keep it." Adelaide burst out laughing, playfully pushing him away.
"I love you, Oscar."
"And why is that, my lady?" He questioned sarcastically.
"Well there's many reasons!" She paused, staring into his eyes.
"Mostly it's the way you look at me."
Oscar beamed at Adelaide.
"What way do I look at you?"
"You look at me like I'm something worth looking at" He paused.
"That's because you are."
They leaned into each other and kissed.
"Well, I could take you home or you could stay here for hours with me and let me kiss you." Oscar chuckled jokingly.

"Can I pick?"