Liars

The final week of school had arrived and Adelaide couldn't wait to rid herself of all the unnecessary drama and stress and spend the summer with her friends, or at least that's what she hoped for. This week they had many projects to present, including the science one that was worth 50% of their final grade. She worried about doing it with Oscar because they weren't on the best of terms, within the past few weeks he had grown closer to all their friends yet seemed to continuously move away from her. Grabbing the books from her locker, she walked down the hall to room 27, the science room where she had first met Brodie. She grinned as she remembered him coming to her rescue but also grimaced at the fact that it was such a dramatic way to become acquainted.

When the class was seated and the roll had been called, Ms Smith gave them 20 minutes each to discuss their projects and figure out who was saying what. Adelaide turned to Oscar awkwardly who continued to look down at his page.
"So..." she started.
"I've labeled each thing we have to say, the purple stars are everything you have to say and the green stars are everything I have to say." Adelaide smirked,
"Wow, organized!" Oscar just nodded.
"Oscar will you please just talk to me?" Adelaide asked quietly.
"Talk to you about what?"
"About what your thinking?"
"I'm not thinking about anything!" He retaliated.
"That's a lie" Adelaide rolled her eyes and was ready to give up when Oscar asked,
"What are you thinking about?" She smiled.
"I'm thinking about hanging out with all of you guys over summer and how much fun we'll have!"
Oscar smiled. He leaned into the table. "We should do that before Brodie leaves."
"Leaves?" Adelaide was confused. He hadn't said anything about going somewhere on summer holidays.
"He's going to Australia!?"

Adelaide's heart was racing, how come she didn't know this before?
"Oh, for a holiday? To visit his family right?"
"Oh, Adelaide, I thought you knew?" Oscar's heart sank, she didn't know.
"Knew what Oscar!?" She said getting agitated.
"Brodie's going back to Australia, for good" he said sadly, trying not to make eye contact with Adelaide.
Adelaide turned to look at Brodie who was sitting two rows infront of her. She felt anger coursing through her veins.
"Why would you lie?" She turned back to Oscar.
"What!?" He was taken aback, what did she mean lie? Brodie had told him so himself.
"He would've told me if he was going back. Are you lying so that I'll get annoyed at him? Is this some way to get me to like you more!?"
Oscar was outraged, he would never lie to his friends, especially not to Adelaide.
"I'm not lying, ask him yourself" he whispered back angrily, realizing the teacher was talking again.
"Adelaide and Oscar, your next to present." The two stood up reluctantly and presented their project as best as they could. Adelaide refused to make eye contact with Brodie the whole time. Was he going back? Did he just forget to tell her? They finished presenting and walked back to their seats. Brodie stopped her before she sat down,
"Well done, Babe" he whispered.
"We need to talk later." She said quickly dismissing him. Brodie looked back at her confused. His hands formed into fists that showed off his prominent veins. He curled his fingers into fists whenever he was really concerned, which from Adelaide's expression- he was or at least he should be.

After science, Oscar walked on ahead to their next class. Brodie waited for Adelaide outside the classroom. He was nervous, why was she so annoyed?
"What's going on?" He asked her as she walked out of the classroom. Adelaide folded her arms.
"Are you going back to Australia?" She questioned irritated. Brodie's expression changed to shock, his mouth fell open but he was unable to say anything. Adelaide furrowed her eyebrows waiting for his response.
"Are you!?" She demanded, her eyes were blurry from her tears, that we're gathering around the edges of her eye socket, ready to spill out like a waterfall.
"Yes" He said sadly, looking down at the ground.