1. ** New Beginnings **

I was so relieved to be leaving the chaotic city for the quiet, more serene countryside. Even though Levi and I were both on high alert, we were finally able to enjoy being alone together on our short horseback ride out to the cabin.

So much had happened since Viktor's final attack. It turns out Annie hadn't been the only infiltrator to have come out of the 104th Training Corps... three other Titan Shifters had been hiding in plain sight: Reiner, Bertholdt and Ymir. Reiner and Bertholdt ended up capturing Eren in hopes of taking him beyond the walls.  They had been the Armored and Colossal Titan the entire time... And although Ymir seemed more concerned with Historia's safety than anything else, she left with Reiner and Bertholdt in the end.

Not being able to join the rescue efforts alongside Erwin was incredibly difficult for Levi and I... We hated feeling useless, but knew it would have done us no good to fight while we were still so injured.  When we had first heard the news about Commander Erwin losing an arm in battle, I honestly expected Levi to blame himself for not being there, or to kick Eren in the face for getting captured again. But instead, he silently mourned those who gave their lives, so that we could live. Levi continued to amaze me more and more every day, showing me just how dedicated he was to fighting for the survival of humanity.

I was lucky enough to be able to join Levi in visiting Erwin once he was deemed well enough to speak to us. The sight of Commander Erwin all bandaged up was a difficult one. Levi gave him plenty of shit about losing a limb, but underneath all of his jabs, was pure relief that Commander Erwin was still alive.

With both Eren and now Historia needing to be hidden and protected, Levi had decided to rebuild his squad around them, with those who knew them best. Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Connie and Sasha were the new members of Squad Levi, protecting and fighting alongside Eren and Historia.

In an effort to keep the location of our cabin secret, only Hange's Squad knew where we were. I had been able to recover faster than I thought I would after Viktor's brutal attacks, and was incredibly grateful to return to my squad.  Levi and I could focus on protecting Eren again and everyone could work on figuring out a way to get him to secure Wall Maria.  I was no longer afraid of what Viktor would try next, because he was gone. I was free to live a life of my own choosing, and I chose to fight alongside Humanity's Strongest Soldier, Captain Levi Ackerman.

Levi and I dismounted our horses along a trickling stream, allowing them to pause for a quick drink.  I exhaled audibly as I took in the scenery around us.  The gently rolling hills were painted with dancing flowers and the radiant sun warmed my skin.  After giving his horse a gracious pat, Levi walked up next to me with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Not fair, huh?"

I cocked my head to the side and hummed, waiting for him to continue.

"For a world so cruel to be so beautiful every now and then."

He slipped his hand into mine, giving it a gentle squeeze.  I turned my head to face him, finding he was staring straight at me.  I gave him a warm smile and wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my cheek on his shoulder.

"Do you think it'll ever be peaceful... like this... for everyone?" I mumbled into his shirt.  I felt him shake his head as he hugged me closer.

"No.  I don't.  Peace is too vague of a word to mean the same to everyone."

I sighed, reluctantly agreeing with him.

"...So I guess we just have to soak in moments like this when we can."

I tightened my grasp around Levi when I felt his lips unexpectedly brush against my neck.  We breathed each other in for a few more moments, before sharing a soft, simple kiss.  We hadn't been able to enjoy much time alone together, and I missed being so close to him.  It seemed almost impossible to release him from my embrace, but an impatient whinny from my horse gave me the nudge I needed in order to let go.

Walking back to our horses, we grasped the saddles, placing one foot into the stirrups and swinging the other up and over.  I sat for a moment, staring down at my hands which clasped the reins tightly.  I could feel Levi staring at me, waiting for me to signal that I was ready to depart.  My silence was of slight concern to him, so he muttered my name lowly.  Snapping out of it, I glanced up to meet his eyes.

"Levi, do you think what Hange and Connie were talking about earlier is true...?  That the people of his village... his mother--"

"Who the hell knows anymore. To think that all I've ever done is fly around killing humans..."

"Levi, you didn't know.  None of us did.  Hell, it's not even confirmed to be true or not.  We've never seen anyone inside the nape of their necks... not like Eren's titan..."  I kneaded my forehead, trying not to overwhelm myself, before groaning loudly, "Uuuuugh it hurts my head to think about this shit..."

Who would ever want to put humanity through hell like this?  And if someone had the power to turn humans into titans, did the opposite exist?  Was there someone who could reverse the effects and change them all back?  Was there a way to stop it all?"

Levi scoffed in frustration before tapping the flanks of his horse with his heels.  Shaking off the fear that began to flood my mind, I took in one more fill of the stunning landscape around us, before taking off behind Levi.

--------------------------------------------------

Not too long afterwards, I could make out a subtle plume of smoke rising from the chimney of the cabin in the distance.  I felt myself begin to relax ever so slightly.  Although I had never been to the cabin, it already felt like home to me.  I glanced over at Levi and could tell that the sight of the cabin still standing, stippled with familiar silhouettes, had eased his tension.  My heart ached for a moment at the thought of all the times he had cleared the horizon in hopes of seeing his comrades alive and well, only to find the remains of their corpses.

I shuddered and shook my head, reminding myself to live in the present and not to be so fearful of the past...or the future.  It was going to be harder than I thought to put everything behind me.  

What does a caged bird do once it flies free?