3. ** Night **

No. You're not real. You're dead...I saw you die! I drove that spike through your skull! How are you here in front of me now!?

His hands are as cold as ice against my skin. His eyes are bloodshot, and his grin just keeps widening. I struggle all I can, pinned beneath his weight, but he won't let go. I turn my head away from him, but am startled by the sight of a figure looming in the corner. I can't see his face, but he shifts his stance when he notices my fearful gaze. He turns to leave, but stops when he hears my screams for help.

That's when I hear Viktor's chilling voice hiss a warning to the man.

"I'll get what I want with or without you. Either way, you know what I require. Keep this between you and I, and you can have whatever and do whatever the hell you want. Tell a soul, and-"

"My lips are sealed."

"Good. Leave it by the door on your way out."

I'm terrified and confused. What is going on? Why won't this man save me!?

The moment he leaves, I try to call back out to him, but am suddenly unable to breathe. Everything around me begins to sink into a deep red. I feel my body shrinking, fading away, when I realize that I am alone, drowning in blood. With the remainder of my strength, I wrap my arms around my stomach, folding over in agony, and scream.

"(Y/N)! Oi (Y/N), wake up!"

My eyes shot wide open to find Levi staring straight into my soul, his expression painted with fear. His hands grasped my upper arms tightly; tight enough to leave a bruise. My skin was clammy, as I had broken into a cold sweat while stuck within a nightmare that was all too real. My heart was racing, and I could barely catch my breath.

I couldn't stop shuddering as he pulled me into a protective embrace. I repeatedly begged him to "just hold me," over and over again. The terrifying repetition of my words were met with a tighter grip, one that which originated from fear.

"Breathe, (Y/N)...Calm down... You're safe..." Levi said, while shushing me. "What the hell was that anyway? You were screaming for help, but wouldn't wake up, no matter how hard I shook you... which, by the way, I'm sorry if I hurt you, but you were starting to... to scare me."

"I don't know, Levi. But he was there, he was so real. And there was someone else, I don't know who, but he wouldn't help me either, and they were talking about something cryptic, and then everything started to disappear, and I was drowning in blood-"

"Shhhh... Slow down... it's over. It wasn't real. You were having a nightmare, alright?"

"But, I could feel his hands and-"

"(Y/N). It wasn't real."

Levi loosened his grip a bit, allowing one hand to clasp my cheek as he wiped away a tear with his thumb. I looked up to find the fear disappearing from his eyes, as sincerity began to return.

"He can't hurt you anymore, (Y/N)."

I nodded, breathing in a few more shuddering sniffles, trying to calm myself down. Levi sighed, then slowly allowed his hands to fall down my back, releasing his embrace. Exiting the bed, he brought himself to a stand and pulled his shirt over his head. Then, turning to me, he extended his hand and murmured, "Let's get some fresh air."

The moon was full that night, just like the night before my first expedition, but things were obviously different now. Levi gave an acknowledging nod to Armin, who had switched Connie on watch. His eyes followed us as we left the cabin grounds for a more secluded area. The beginning of our venture was silent, as we trudged over a grassy hill together, which lead to the edge of the woods.

Once we reached the top of the hill, I stopped and turned toward the sky. Levi settled himself into the grass beside me and removed the cape he had worn, expecting a chillier night. I inhaled deeply, before removing mine as well, quietly sitting beside him.

"This feels like déjà vu. Sitting here in the moonlight, trying to calm you down... You remember what I told you back then, right?" Levi muttered in his raspy, low voice.

"I know... I shouldn't let my fears control me. You'd think I would have learned by now..."

"No... Well, yea I did say that... But, do you remember when you asked me how I wasn't afraid of anything? I always wondered why people thought that. I mean, can anyone actually live without fear?"

I hugged my knees into my chest, and stared at him intently.

"(Y/N). Fear is part of being alive, part of being human. I'm afraid of plenty of shit, just like everyone else is. But the difference is how you react to it. Whether or not you learn from it, or if you let it haunt you or control you. And most importantly, to acknowledge that the feeling of fear is real...but the feeling alone can't hurt you- Ah fuck- does that make any sense?"

He pinched his brow and subtly shook his head in frustration, before turning to look back at me. But the moment he did, the light of the moon reflected in his gray eyes, turning them a faint shade of blue. It could have been the clumsy way he was trying to make me feel better, or the way he went off on a semi-awkward tangent, but whatever it was, it was perfect. I had barely exhaled his name when I pulled him over on top of me, fiercely pushing my lips against his. I could feel my fears melting away, as I rejected it's power over me and bathed in the overwhelming need to be one with Levi once more.