6. ** Uncertainty **

There was really nothing I could say or do that would convince Levi that I was, in fact, feeling fine. Although I was still sore, and winced a bit here and there if I pushed myself too hard, I honestly had healed up rather quickly. The stab wound to my side was the worst and slowest to heal, so Levi agreed to head out only if he could examine and redress it with fresh bandages. With a reluctant sigh, I unbuttoned my shirt to reveal my tightly wrapped abdomen.

With gentle movements, Levi worked mindfully to carefully unravel the barely blood-stained cloth from my body. I twisted slightly, trying to get a good look at it, but Levi grabbed my torso and held me in place to prevent me from breaking it open even further. The warmth of his fingertips against my skin was sweet and comforting as he focused intently on my wound. I tried not to get annoyed by how persistent he was, and instead, was grateful for his concern.

With a sigh, Levi stood to meet my gaze, before trading out my old bandage for a fresh one.

"You've been overdoing it. You keep breaking it open, making it bleed more." He paused for a moment, then turned away to hide his slowly reddening cheeks. "I apologize if last night had anything to do with that..."

I couldn't help but giggle softly at his sudden bashful shame. Placing my hand on his jaw to turn him back toward me, I gave him a soft, reassuring smile. "You only made me better."

Bringing his hands back to my waist, he bent down and held me steady, as he began to redress where Viktor's knife had deeply punctured my side. When he finished, he pressed his lips against my stomach, slowly kissing upwards as he returned to a stand. Our eyes met and we became very aware of how close we were to each other. Gently resting one hand on my hip, Levi cupped my cheek in his palm, stroking it with his thumb.

"I'll never understand how that man could do such terrible things to you. So I am making sure you never have to feel that pain again. I just don't want to see you hurting anymore, alright?" He pressed his forehead into mine, closed his eyes and whispered, "Because...I love you."

His lips melted into mine, quickly deepening into a more passionate kiss. I felt his arms pull me in closer, remaining mindful of every bruise and cut that still remained on my body. I tugged against the back of his shirt, grasping the fabric hungrily. I escaped his kiss to sneak a breath and took the opportunity to hover my lips at his ear and whisper, "How long before Hange notices we're missing?"

"She's studying Eren's Titan abilities. She doesn't give a fuck about anything else right now."

With that, Levi lowered my body onto our bed behind us, and proceeded to skillfully reaffirm his undying love for me.

-------------------------------------------------------

Our slight tardiness didn't go unnoticed, but no one felt the need to address it, for fear of Ackerman retaliation. Everyone's focus was on Eren, who was completing different tasks and trying new techniques while in his Titan form. I glanced over to find Historia holding tightly onto the strap of her rifle, which rested heavily on her shoulder. Her blue eyes disappeared into a memory, and once again I recognized how devastated she was about Ymir.

I hesitated to break her stare, deciding to leave her be instead. It wasn't my place to try to comfort her anyway. I walked to the edge of the cliff and swung my legs over the side, watching Eren follow Hange's strange orders closely. He began to assemble the skeleton of a house with logs and ropes. As he continued to build, I scanned the horizon, keeping an eye out for any unwelcome movement. Luckily, the only thing that appeared from within the canopy of tree were a few birds who escaped into the sky.

Glancing back, I caught Levi's eye and gave him a gentle smile. He always looked so intense when he was around Eren; so determined to protect the boy who could potentially save us all... and now he was tasked with protecting Historia too. So in my mind, I no longer wanted him to feel like he had to protect me; I was stronger than before and wanted to be the one who would protect him.

The day dragged on, as Eren pushed himself to the brink of exhaustion. Every time he transformed into a Titan again, he was smaller and weaker than the last, until finally he could no longer stand. Hange held his half-exposed body from out of his Titan's nape as Mikasa pleaded that he stop. She was absolutely horrified by the sight of Eren's face, so mangled and torn, but Hange found his state utterly fascinating as she screamed out orders for Moblit to sketch out the horrific scene. Unable to take any more, Mikasa desperately sliced away Eren's connection from his Titan, overcome with fear. His face was barely formed and skin was hanging from his eye sockets. He looked like death.

"Well, this is shit..." Levi grumbled. He signaled for Historia and I to follow him down the hill, as we aided the others in recollecting Eren. The morale of the two squads began to fall, as we realized the unfortunate uncertainty of Eren's ability to close Wall Maria.

I hopped on the back of my horse and instructed everyone to survey the area, as I watched Levi pull away from the seat of the the wagon that held Eren, Hange, Mikasa and Historia.  There was too much at risk for our whereabouts to be compromised now, so they needed to stay hidden. Once the wagon was out of sight, I guided my horse eastward and scanned the woods for signs of movement.  I could see Jean not too far from me, but knew he hadn't seen anything suspicious by his demeanor.

Just when I was ready to turn back toward the cabin, I heard a loud snap from behind a bush, only a few feet away from me.  I halted my horse and froze, clutching my rifle to my chest.  After a few moments of silence, there was a subtle whimper accompanied by a rustling of the leaves.  I dismounted my horse quickly, rifle in hand and aimed at the bush.  Jean noticed the tension in my movements and stealthily headed my way.

Inhaling quickly, I threw myself around the side of the bush, only to find a doe ensnared in a hunter's trap.  It flailed about in fear at my sudden appearance, it's eyes filled with pain and agony.  I lowered my rifle to the ground and crept carefully toward her, holding my hand to the ground and shushing softly.

"Hey... It's alright... Let me help you..."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jean riding over to see if I needed help.  But he immediately relaxed when he saw what all the commotion had been about.

I felt terrible for the frightened deer.  Her leg was bleeding, and she only made it worse as she tried to pull away from the snare.  I lowered myself down to a crawl, reaching my arm out as far as I could, before releasing the jaws from the animal's flesh.

Without hesitation, she jumped up and limped away as quickly as possible.  I watched her bound off into the woods, noticing a small shadow join her before she disappeared.

"Better not mention this to Sasha," Jean mumbled from behind.  I turned to find him picking my rifle up from off of the ground.  I smiled, thanking him as he handed it to me.

"It wouldn't feel right, eating meat after this.  The look in that deer's eyes..." I shuddered.  "I've seen that look way too many times... Besides, she had a little one watching from afar..."

Jean looked up off into the distance.  The deer were long gone, but we both glanced their way once more anyway. I dusted myself off and slung my rifle over my shoulder with a sigh and said,

"Who set those traps anyway?"

Jean froze, then turned around to face me.

"...we set a few traps, but I don't remember there being any this far out..."

I stared at Jean, then scanned the woods one more time before jumping back onto my horse.

"Let's head back to the cabin then... I'm hoping it's just one of ours.  I guess I'll have to suffer the wrath of Sasha after all..."