13. ** Resist **

I could feel my blood boiling inside my veins as I stared into Kenny's cold, deviant eyes. His twisted smile curled farther up his lips as he watched my anger begin to intensify. He knew I remembered him, and admittedly so. I craved some sort of retaliation; a way to wipe the disgusting grin from his face. Yet, in my painfully immovable state, my choices were limited. So, posturing up and leaning forward, I growled a "fuck you" and spat into his face.

The words had barely left my mouth before a fist bashed into my cheekbone, hard. I collapsed to the ground with a yelp, moaning in pain from the force of the blow. There was no doubt that I would be sporting a swollen black eye for days to come, as the ability to blink gradually vanished. With barely a moment to recover, I felt that same fist meet my ribs with rage. My back arched in agony, as I looked up to find Caven standing over me, rearing for another bone-breaking blow. But just as I reached for a nearby shard of wood, broken from my fall, Kenny grabbed Caven by the arm, whipping her around to face him.

"Captain!? What the hell- she spit on you!"

"Heh, yea she's gotten surprisingly feisty since being away from Viktor. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though, considering her connection with Levi. Should make things a little more interesting... But in the meantime, we want her alive, you hear me?"

I watched Caven glare down at me with a look that could have sent me straight to hell. But she nodded reluctantly and backed away in a huff. Tipping the brim of his hat up with his thumb, Kenny knelt back down and gripped the harness that buckled across my chest, roughly pulling me up from the ground. I tried to hide a wince, but it was useless With a chuckle, he looked me up and down before releasing me from his clutches.

"Listen closely, little mouse. I ain't gonna say this twice. That was the last time I'll stop Caven here from beating your ass. You piss her off again, and I can't guarantee you'll live much longer, you got that?"

I only gritted my teeth and sneered again, much to Kenny's disapproval. But before he could demand a verbal reply, another MP zipped around the corner and ran towards where we sat crouched in the street.

"Captain Ackerman! We've secured both targets, sir!"

The darkness left Kenny's eyes as he eerily evolved back into a smiling maniac.

"Fan-fuckin-tastic! Glad to hear it! Now, let's get the hell out of this shit hole and finish this goddamn mission before that runt comes back around for more."

My stomach dropped as Kenny grabbed my arm and pulled me to a limp stand. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. We had failed to keep Eren and Historia safe? My mind began to race, fearing the thought of my squad being slaughtered at the hands of these psychopaths. But I had to have faith that they were all okay and planning their pursuit. And Levi... I wanted so desperately for him to round the corner and take everyone out in one swift move, but I knew he would focus on what was most important. And so would I.

As Kenny drug me along, a horse-drawn wagon pulled up beside him, coming to an abrupt halt at his command. Putting up a fight now was futile, as I had realized my situation was actually more ideal than I had initially established. There was a possibility that I would be being taken to the same location that Eren and Historia were, giving me a chance to rescue them. So, I had to lay low for the time being and keep the status quo. Maybe my luck hadn't run out after all...?

With that, I was thrown into the back of the wagon, Kenny and Caven climbing in behind me. As a few more soldiers clambered on, Kenny passed a grimy bandana over to Caven, who was proudly towering over me with a gun to my head.

"Wrap this 'round her. Don't want her knowin' where we're headed," he ordered.

Gladly taking the worn cloth from his hands, she grabbed a fist full of my hair and yanked me closer, more than happy to oblige Kenny's command. Roughly tying the blindfold around my head, she knotted the cloth as tight as she could before leaning into my ear and whispering,

"You try anything funny, and I'll blow your fuckin' brains out. Got it?"

I gave a slight nod, causing her to chuckle with pride. The desire to headbutt the bitch was incredible, but I exhaled slowly, forcing myself to stay calm and remain focused on the end goal: rescuing Eren and Historia, and getting everyone out alive.

*************************************

Wherever our destination was, it was far past the outskirts of town, hidden from sight. Kenny had been dropped off somewhere else, prior to my stop, leaving me stuck with Caven, a handful of MP's, and a pistol that never left my temple. I could tell by the rustling of the leaves that we were deep in the woods. I had attempted to mentally map the route, but couldn't keep my bearings for long. I had no clue where I was and began to doubt I was being taken to the same location as Eren or Historia.

When the wagon finally came to a stop, Caven shoved me to a stand, ordering me off of the wagon without even removing the blindfold. I stumbled down the steps and waited for my next order. I could barely stand, as my thigh hadn't been tended to, and my body was beaten to shit. Slumping over, I involuntarily vomited all over the grass below me, barely missing my feet. The pain had become excruciating, and I was incredibly dizzy from standing up so quickly. My steps stuttered to the side until I felt Caven malevolently seize my arm, yanking me towards her. Following blindly, I shuffled slowly alongside her, each step faltering more and more. I could hear her growing frustrated with my inability to keep up with her pace, and she finally released my arm, causing me to tumble to the ground.

"God damn it... Carlen, get over here and pick this girl up. She can't walk worth shit, and I ain't dragging her ass down all those stairs."

Stairs?

Flinching at the touch of being lifted by a stranger, I felt myself being thrown over the shoulder of a tall, muscular MP who protested with a groan at the order of carrying my limp and bleeding body. I was utterly confused about my whereabouts, trying in vain to ascertain why there would be stairs in the middle of the woods. But not too long after being draped over the man's shoulder, I could feel the downward procession of traversing a staircase.

Where the hell am I?

The farther down we traveled, the more cavernous the environment became. The distinct sound of boots hitting the floor echoed into my ears loudly, making me wonder just how large of a cave we had entered. After what seemed like forever, everyone came to a halt, and I was finally removed from my pathetic position. Carlen carelessly removed me from his shoulder, dropping me to the ground in annoyance. Weakly leaning against the wall behind me, I found it felt surprisingly similar to that of cold tile. I ran my fingers across the floor, which had the same smooth texture. Wherever we were was not a normal, natural cave.

As I continued to ignorantly guess where I was, a gruff voice boomed over the low chatter of the MP's around me.

"Hey Caven, what the hell are we supposed to do with this girl anyway? I don't remember anything being said about capturing a third one."

"Captain's orders, ya idiot. I don't want her Survey Corps ass here any more than you do. And honestly, as long she's still breathing by the time Kenny gets back, I really don't give a fuck what you do with her."

With that, my blindfold was violently ripped from my face, as two cold hands forcefully pinned me against the wall. With one eye swelled shut, I apprehensively looked up to behold a sinister grin eagerly creeping across a hungry-eyed MP's lips.

It was an expression I knew all too well, one I feared the most.